Recruitment/Posting Title Manager, Information Systems Technology
Job Category Staff & Executive - Information Technology
New Jersey’s academic health center, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) takes an integrated approach to educating students, providing clinical care, and conducting research, all with the goal of improving human health. Aligned with Rutgers University–New Brunswick and collaborating university wide, RBHS includes eight schools, a behavioral health network, and five centers and institutes that focus on cancer treatment and research, neuroscience, advanced biotechnology and medicine, environmental and occupational health, and health care policy and aging research.
Our faculty are teachers, clinicians, and scientists with unparalleled experience who advance medical innovation and provide patient care informed by the latest research findings. We offer an outstanding education in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, public health, nursing, biomedical research, and the full spectrum of allied health careers.
Our clinical and academic facilities are located throughout the state—at Rutgers University–New Brunswick, including Piscataway; and at locations in Newark, Scotch Plains, Somerset, Stratford, and other locations. Clinical partners include Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, Newark’s University Hospital in Newark, and other affiliates.
Through this community of healers, scientists, and scholars, Rutgers is equipped as never before to transform lives.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Manager, Information Systems Technology (Business Title: Laboratory Information Management Systems Manager) for the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.
The primary purpose of the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) Manager is to serve as the primary resource for researching, configuring, implementing and managing all activities that are linked to Public Health and Environmental Laboratories (PHEL), as well as the Laboratory Information Management System Manager. The activities include but are not limited to; billing, communicable disease surveillance reporting, instrument interface, web access and electronic data exchange tools such as emailing and faxing and special systems that link PHEL with other internal and external agencies such as; Epidemiology Environmental and
Occupation Health Services Division, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Office Homeland Security.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Responsible for the production of all ad hoc and quality assurance reports.
- Works with both the Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) and instrument vendors to perform upgrades and associated validations of the LIMS as well as troubleshoots and resolves problems with the LIMS system.
- Collaborates with laboratory staff to research, train and ensure that the LIMS system is fully utilized to support laboratory efficiency.
- Provides supervision for all members of the laboratory Information Technology (IT) staff.
- Manages and assists in the recruitment, development and supervision of staff, conducts performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, coaches, counsels and motivates staff to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Develops and manages the budget for the Laboratory IT Program; regularly monitors relevant key financial and performance indicators; ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies.
- Regularly monitors relevant key financial indicators and performance metrics.
- Guarantees that turn-around time goals are met to achieve results in accordance with state and federal guidelines.
- Collaborates with internal programs and other divisions in the NJ Department of Health, as well as, with community partners to provide accurate and timely laboratory services and information; serves as the primary liaison between VP and the Communicable Disease Services team.
- Maintains a working knowledge and hands on experience with tests in the unit to ensure continuity of operations.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies.
Position Status Full Time
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift
Annual Minimum Salary 99301.000
Annual Mid Range Salary 125616.000
Annual Maximum Salary 151929.000
Standard Hours 37.50
Union Description Non-Union
Payroll Designation PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in chemical, biological or clinical sciences, public health, health informatics discipline or equivalent discipline appropriate to the position.
- Four (4) years of full-time experience as a LIMS Manager in a field appropriate to the position.
- A Doctorate in a discipline appropriate to the position may be substituted for two (2) years of experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in the management of clinical laboratory information application systems or related field with strong foundation in systems design, programming, administration, analysis, evaluation & maintenance of existing system & development of new system integrations.
- Basic knowledge & understanding of Public Health Clinical laboratory operations, vocabulary & laboratory regulations governing test set up, resulting, reporting & billing.
- Knowledge of laboratory information systems’ functionalities specific to laboratory applications and processes to achieve high efficiency of work flow in the laboratory.
- Extensive knowledge of Windows operating system, desktops/laptop, laboratory computers & peripheral systems including scanners & bar coders.
- Appointee will be required to possess a valid driver’s license.
- Experience working in a clinical laboratory, knowledge of laboratory workflow and analyzer experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Orchard Harvest & Natus Neometrics, Perkin Elmer Specimen gate LIMS modules & Telcor billing system.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Position requires standing, walking, sitting, use of the hands to finger, handle or feel, talk and hear 2/3 of the time, reach with hands and arms over 1/3 of the time, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl under 1/3 of the time.
- Position requires lifting 1/3 of the time up to 10 pounds and under 1/3 of the time up to 25 pounds.
Posting Number 18ST3121
Posting Open Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Candidate must successfully complete a Security Risk Assessment which includes a fingerprint criminal background review and drug testing performed by the Department of Health.
Regional Campus Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)
Home Location Campus Piscataway (RBHS)
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment screenings.