Middle School Faculty: Step Coach for the 2019-20 Winter Season
Under the general direction of the Athletic Director, coaches will instruct middle school athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success in their program. Coaches must understand and abide by all building regulations, procedures and guidelines.
- Supervise student athletes to promote effective student learning through participation in athletic activities.
- Plan, develop and implement an effective program for the particular sport to prepare athletes both physically and mentally to participate in athletic contests; formulate behavioral objectives for the coming sports season; administer discipline when necessary in a fair and consistent manner; emphasize safety precautions; inform participants prior to season about the district’s policies and regulations and extracurricular activity contract.
- Organize after school practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive; teach basic fundamental skills of the sport; prepare daily practice activities and keep records on file; emphasize and promote good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches.
- Assume responsibility for all phases of the program involving coordination of facility use in conjunction with building athletic director; follow school procedures for handling injuries; submit to the building athletic director a list of names of students who sustain incapacitating injuries during the season; maintain injury records in conjunction with the building athletic director.
- Inform students and parents of the proper procedures of eligibility and special rules for the particular sport; schedule practice days and times; work with parents to arrange transportation to and from games.
- Establish an effective system for issuing equipment and maintaining records including dates and times of issuance; assure the systematic return of all equipment, the cleaning and storing of equipment; perform weekly safety check for all equipment; hold students responsible for lost equipment; complete inventory lists and provide copies to the building athletic coordinator.
- Make written recommendations to athletic director regarding program, facilities, and transportation problems; assist the athletic coordinator in achieving the objectives of the school’s athletic program.
- Attend athletic meetings as called by athletic director.
- Update knowledge by attending clinics, workshops, and maintaining familiarity with current athletic programs; keep current with regard to rule changes.
- A proven track record of promoting student learning on and off the field; at least two years of experience in coaching.
- Expertise in working with diverse populations of students and families, and in differentiating instruction to fully support the needs of diverse learners
- An acumen for actively engaging students in her/his own learning.
- A demonstrated openness and responsiveness to constructive feedback and a strong commitment to continuous improvement and professional growth
- Strong written and oral communication skills and experience working collaboratively in team settings
- Approaches the profession with maturity, humility, versatility (i.e., embraces the ambiguity and excitement associated with start-ups), a solutions-mindedness with a strong work ethic, and, of course, a sense of humor
- First Aid and CPR/AED certified
Unity Preparatory Charter School of Brooklyn (Unity) is an independent charter school that proudly serves the community of central Brooklyn in New York City. We are currently in our seventh year and serve 600 students in grades 6-12. We look forward to the graduation of our founding class in the spring of 2020.
Every day, the school community at Unity works as a team to empower our students. Though the scope of each staff member’s daily tasks and responsibilities is broad, we aim to align all elements of our work with the school’s mission: to empower students as scholars and citizens so that they may lead fulfilling academic, personal, and professional lives . This mission is the heart of our school, informing our choices and uniting our community under one shared purpose.As a young and growing school, Unity strives to continuously strengthen its rigorous academic program in the liberal arts & sciences. Unity teachers are creators and collaborators, developing curriculum that is designed with our specific students in mind. Our students are at the center of all that we do at Unity, and our structures and systems reflect that. We prioritize differentiated academic support, offer extended learning time, and expose students to an ever-expanding array of enrichment clubs and learning opportunities outside the classroom. Additionally, we are building a supportive school culture that emphasizes empathy and fosters students’ socio-emotional development.
Job Type: Contract
- Communication Skills: 1 year (Preferred)
- CPR Certification (Preferred)
- AED Certification (Preferred)
- First Aid Certification (Preferred)
Full Time Opportunity: