Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Duties & Responsibilities
Medical Science & Computing is searching for a Senior Systems Engineer/Team Lead
to lead the desktop engineering team in providing comprehensive support for enterprise desktop systems at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Lead enterprise desktop engineering team in heterogeneous environment incorporating Linux, Mac, and Windows servers and workstations.
- Deploy approved release packages and break-fix solutions in accordance with all enterprise architecture and configuration, change, and release management policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all security and operational policies and procedures, including the Secure One guidelines for Macs and the United States Government Configuration Baseline for Windows.
- Support secure operations by maintaining anti-virus and endpoint security applications and remediating vulnerabilities, security violations, and incidents within designated time constraints.
- Manage patching and software release distributions to workstations using tools such as LANRev, Microsoft SCCM/MDT, and IBM BigFix.
- Support integration with directories such as Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), Open Directory, Kerberos and Active Directory (AD); respond to changes within service level agreements.
- Serve as primary escalation point for Windows-related issues, incidents, requests, and projects.
- Coordinate with other teams – Systems Operations, Change, Configuration, Security, etc. – to prepare for technology changes and proactively manage risks and address potential threats, issues, and concerns.
- Follow relevant procedures to resolve incidents and fulfill requests within agreed upon service level agreements (SLAs).
- Draft user communication and issue email notifications to key stakeholders and the user community regarding environment changes, patches, and outages, both planned and unplanned.
- Develop and maintain small software tools and custom scripts, using PowerShell, Visual Basic, and Wise, to automate repetitive tasks and improve user access to self-service options.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues as required, and propose and implement changes aimed at continual service improvement.
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related business, scientific, or technical discipline
- Five or more years of experience supporting Windows systems in a complex research-based 24/7 enterprise environment with a mix of Service Desk and Engineering experience
- Two or more years in team lead/supervisory role
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Engineer (MCSE) required plus other applicable Microsoft and cross platform (CompTIA A+, N+, Project+, Security+, etc.) certifications to demonstrate technical competencies.
- Experience using Microsoft SCCM and MDT to manage desktop and server deployments
- Experience creating and modifying Microsoft Installer (MSI) packages
- Knowledge of and experience using basic Windows command line executables and switches syntax
- Experience managing Active Directory and other directory services, such as Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), SAML, and Kerberos
- Experience using IBM BigFix and other tools for software distribution and reporting to include creating custom fixlets in BigFix and deploying OEM and custom fixlets and actions across the full enterprise and administering BigFix Web UI
- Experience scripting solutions using PowerShell, Visual Basic, and/or Wise
- Ability to effectively and confidently communicate – in writing and presentations – complex topics and procedures with team members and all levels of customer stakeholders
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements with a flexible and creative approach to brainstorming, troubleshooting, and problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and propose multiple alternative solutions
- Experience with hardware and software for networking; distributed computing; virtualization; large-scale, high-performance storage systems; databases; telephony; and cloud computing
- Experience managing work using agile and ticketing systems such as Jira and ServiceNow
- ITIL v3 Foundation certification or higher preferred
- Must meet all requirements for obtaining and maintaining a Public Trust Clearance