UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals Foundation has a unique opportunity for a talented and passionate writer to join our team. The Senior Children’s Health Writer is responsible for developing and editing compelling content that supports the Foundation’s communication goals, evolves its voices, and inspires philanthropic investment. Key responsibilities include writing and managing fundraising proposals, case statements, web and print articles, event collateral, and promotional materials. The role calls for creative thinking and impactful storytelling, the ability to write for a range of audiences, and the capacity to coordinate, prioritize and manage multiple projects originating from a variety of stakeholders and departments.
The UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals Foundation is dedicated to advancing children's health through clinical innovation, scientific advances, and a commitment to health equity. As the philanthropic resource for UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals, which includes campuses in both Oakland and San Francisco, the BCH Foundation partners with individual donors, corporations, foundations and community organizations that share our dedication to advancing children’s health. The Foundation is responsible for identifying, qualifying, soliciting and stewarding donors; for formally accepting and administrating all monetary and in-kind gifts; and for managing all donor relations activities, auxiliary support groups, and special events.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Advanced knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation and advanced skills to write clear, lively, engaging, compelling and effective copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences and the broader public
- Advanced knowledge of appropriate editorial style and publication guidelines
- Knowledge of computer applications for publishing, image handling, and/or web production
- Advanced skill in taking initiative to creatively, identify and pitch story ideas to senior management and clients
- Advanced research and fact verification skills
- Advanced interpersonal communications skills, including active listening and effective collaboration skills
- Advanced analytical and critical thinking skills
- Advanced project management, organizational and problem recognition, avoidance and resolution skills
- Skill to maintain absolute confidentiality
- Advanced, in-depth knowledge of the location, including its mission, goals, achievements, infrastructure, programs, and policies
- Advanced knowledge of issues in higher education, a specialized academic discipline or field and/or health sciences
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences. We bring together the world’s leading experts in nearly every area of health. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, aging and stem cells.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Job Code and Payroll Title
004018 WRITER EDITOR 4
Additional Shift Details
Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm