Job Description & Requirements
Position Title: Store Manager (SM) Effective Date: February 2010
Division/Department: Store Operations Location: Multiple Field
Reports to: Area Operations Manager (AOM), District Manager Classification: Executive Exemption
(DM) or Assistant District Manager (ADM)
Responsible for managing the entire operation of a store including hiring, development, supervision, discipline and safety of
Assistant Store Managers (ASMs) and Customer Service Representatives (CSRs), and management of all inventory and assets, in order to meet Company and store objectives, including profitability goals. Provides and models respectful customer service to the store team and the community.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Exhibits and provides leadership, direction and supervision to all store ASMs and CSRs at all times.
2. Supervises, trains, develops and oversees the training and development of ASMs and CSRs. This includes their training on
Family Dollar operating practices and procedures. Must be able to effectively apply, communicate and explain all standards/procedures to ASMs and CSRs.
3. Ensures ASMs and CSRs greet and assist customers in a positive, approachable manner. Assures that all customer inquiries and concerns are answered or resolved and is available at all times to Team Members and customers to address issues, as needed.
4. Supervises ASMs and CSRs regarding appropriate steps to maintain a clean, well-stocked store for customers.
5. Models and ensures ASMs and CSRs maintain a positive image to customers and community.
6. Responsible for managing the Door-to-Shelf Program and ensuring all merchandise from delivery truck is unloaded, organized and merchandised per Company Planner/Schematics as applied and implemented for that store.
7. Responsible for managing and maintaining all store business records including, payroll, scheduling, vendor delivery and accounting and inventory records, as well as cash register deposits/receipts.
8. Responsible for managing and controlling all store assets, including all inventory, cash and other monies.
9. Responsible for all ordering of merchandise using cycle counts to ensure in-stock representation.
10. Manages loss prevention by maintaining a visible management presence in the store and modeling respectful customer service to the community.
11. Manages the budget of the store, including labor budget to assure that ASMs and CSRs are scheduled, do perform and report all hours worked including a minimum of 80 hours of work per week.
12. Implements and assures compliance by all store Team Members with all Company policies and procedures.
13. Performs all duties necessary for the effective and profitable operation of the store.
14. Assures that all operations of the store, including all employment practices, are in compliance with Company policy and state and federal law (i.e. the posting of required EEO information.)
Education: Prefer completion of high school or equivalent. Ability to read, interpret and explain to others operational directives
(e.g., merchandise schematics, etc).
Experience: Prefer store management experience in retail, grocery or drug store environments.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by Team Members assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position.
Critical Skills and Organizational Competencies
Physical Requirements: The ability to regularly lift up to 40 lbs. (and occasionally, up to 55 lbs.) from floor level to above shoulder height and adequate fitness level to meet demands of frequent walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, climbing, pushing, pulling, and repetitive lifting, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Availability: Ability to work flexible, full-time schedule to include days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Customer Focus: Provides and models respectful customer service and focuses on providing continuous improvement to the in-store experience.
Performance Management: Regularly reviews performance of direct reports; establishes objectives and monitors/communicates progress.
Results Driven: Pushes self and others to meet/exceed established results.
Strong Organizational Skills: Able to perform multiple activities successfully; establishes clear goals and objectives and is effective at managing time/priorities.
A competency is a characteristic of a Team Member that contributes to successful job performance and the achievement
of company goals and objectives. Organizational Competencies are the behaviors, skills, knowledge, and abilities of Team
Members that have a significant impact on Family Dollar’s organizational results.
Customer Focus: Dedicated to assuring that store team members provide the highest quality products and services which meet or exceed the needs and requirements of internal and external customers. Understands customers’ expectations and utilizes that knowledge so that store provides continuously improved products and services. Makes decisions and takes action with end users in mind. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with internal and external customers and gains their trust and respect as the leader of the store.
Results Driven: Takes initiative and engages in work activities that have clearly defined and communicated end results.
Prioritizes work appropriately and ensures that the most important tasks are completed expediently by the store team.
Anticipates barriers to progress and takes appropriate action and provides direction. Follows through with team members to ensure that tasks are completed with a sense of urgency. Drives self and others for results, and looks for opportunities to increase effectiveness and reduce costs. Motivates others to excel.
Communication Skills: Shares and expresses thoughts to store team and customers in a clear and effective manner through verbal and written communication skills. Exhibits effective listening skills and interacts positively with others. Is diplomatic, tactful and professional in all communication and resolves conflicts in a cooperative manner. Presents ideas articulately and persuasively in both formal and informal settings.
Problem Solving/Decision Making: Uses sound judgment and common sense to make competent, timely and effective decisions. Gathers and analyzes relevant information and takes appropriate action. Uses knowledge and experience to understand issues and chooses the best course of action. Looks beyond the initial/surface problems to identify root causes.
Takes accountability for all decisions, actions and results within the store. Makes every effort to be even handed when dealing with conflicts, implement decisions fairly, and apply Company policy equally.
Job Knowledge: Understands how store businesses work and keeps up with trends affecting current job, the store and the organization as a whole. Demonstrates the skills and expertise needed for success and is thorough, accurate and efficient while performing all job functions, including all supervision and direction. Learns quickly and analyzes successes and failure to enhance job performance.
2 of 3
Critical Skills and Organizational Competencies
Relationship Management: Develops effective relationships and works cooperatively as leader of a team. Builds rapport easily and relates well to all types of people both inside and outside the organization. Involves other members of the team in setting objectives and making decisions. Willingly shares resources and information with other team members. Defines success in terms of the whole store team and recognizes the contributions of all team members. Strives to be fair and evenhanded in treatment of all team members.
3 of 3
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 - $42,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Supervising Experience: 1 year (Preferred)
- Customer Service: 1 year (Preferred)