The Respiratory Student Intern position provides an opportunity for selected students to accelerate and
expand their clinical experience in the latter period of their schooling, as well as providing the Medical
Center with a complete and accurate assessment of the student's capabilities for potential permanent
hiring upon graduation.
Unit/Department Specific (if applicable)
Assigned workloads are adjusted to provide for a quality learning experience. The intern administers noncritical
respiratory care procedures to infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric customers, including but
not limited to; medical aerosol therapy, pulmonary hygiene, oxygen therapy and basic diagnostic services
under preceptor, shift coordinator, or team leader supervision. Opportunity for critical care and complex
diagnostic procedures may be made on an observational basis, without direct intern participation.
- Performs basic respiratory customer care modalities, under both direct and indirect supervision.
- Participates as a member of the Rapid Response and Code Blue Team only under direct supervision.
- Administers oxygen by physician order or hospital protocol.
- Participates in education for both customers and their families within their scope of service and
competency, under present supervision.
- Performs percutaneous ABG draws and point of care analysis, under direct supervision.
- Accepts other duties as assigned to promote the accomplishment of organizational goals.
- The team member is accountable to demonstrate proficiency for the skills outlined in the appropriate
position skills list.
- The team member is accountable to maintain skill proficiency, including improvement where deemed
necessary, and upgrading any additional or new skills on the appropriate position skills list.
- Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to
area of responsibility.
- Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in North Memorial’s Corporate Code of
- Protects customer/team member privacy and only accesses customer/team member related information as needed
to perform job duties.
methods of communication.RequirementsEducation:
- Reports violations or areas of concern to supervisor or Corporate Compliance Officer via established
- Student must be actively enrolled in a JRCRTE/COARC approved Respiratory Care School
- Candidates for internship must have successfully completed the first year of a two year program,
or the second or third year of a four year program.
Previous experience in patient care or customer service is desirable in this position.License RequirementCertified as a Basic Cardiac Life Support Provider, BLS.