We are currently looking for a Clerk III to join the Comal County District Clerks Office. Working under the general supervision of the Executive Office Manger III, the Clerk III will be responsible for processing all pending criminal files and duties will include performing complex clerical assignments processing legal instruments and other court records. This individual must be available for appearance in the courtroom and other clerical duties necessary to the efficient operation of the court. This position also requires a thorough knowledge of civil filings such as new cases, pleadings filed at the counter and through the mail and will answer inquires by the general public
The ideal candidate has a high school diploma or GED with courses in typing and computer skills; plus two years of experience in clerical functions, including at least one year in a District Clerk's office; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. This individual will have the ability to navigate and use general functions of Microsoft Suite, to include, Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Prepares files for new criminal indictments.
- Issues capias and precepts for defendants who have not been arrested.
- Prepares and issues subpoenas, attachments, writs of commitment and other legal instruments as authorized by the court or requested by attorneys and other parties.
- Prepares and delivers various legal documents to the judge for approval and signature.
- File mark orders signed by the judge, sends copies to counsel of record.
- Responds to telephone inquires from attorneys and other interested parties regarding procedure, dates of filing certain instruments and other information related to cases.
- Assist the Adult Probation Officers, parole officers, investigators, immigration officers, and general public.
- File and process Motions and Orders, extract files and route to appropriated courts for Judge’s review and ruling.
- Processes Motions to Revoke and Motions for Adjudication of guilt. Re-activate cases in the computer, issues alias capias.
- Involved in issuing Bench Warrants, Writ of Habeas Corpus Ad Prosequendum and other writs.
- Responsible for timely sending to the Sheriff’s Office all capias, subpoenas, writs. Etc. on a daily basis.
- Processes the returns of capias, bench warrants and writs received from the Sheriff’s Department.
- Criminal background checks and prepares certified document for defendants with a record or without a record.
- Assists with order of dismissals, order granting probation, order of deferring, in putting information in the computer and disposing of the case.
- Assists in the preparation of copies requested by phone, law enforcement agencies, mail or personal request by the public.
- Files and processes applications for Writ of Habeas Corpus.
- Maintains constant availability for Court appearance if called and attend all court sessions when needed.
- Responsible for recording of court records.
- Responsible for the operation of the Imaging System, preparation of criminal cases for scanning, indexing and review.
- Assists in filing original petitions, pleadings, motions, etc. filed at the counter and through the mail.
- Enters information into the computer pertaining to litigants, attorneys pleadings, and enters fees in the computer.
- Issues civil citations, precepts, subpoenas, writs or other legal documents.
- Locates information in established files and retrieves files upon request.
- Accepts passport applications, reviews for accuracy, administers oath, accepts payment of fees, prepares the transmittal form to passport agency.
- Delivers various legal documents to the judge for approval and signature.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
- Attendance is an essential function of the job.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Two years of experience in clerical lfunctions; including at least one year in a District Clerk's Office; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Good teletype skills, computer skills, and telephone answering skills
- Must be able to deal with confidential information appropriately
- Direct Deposit
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Insurance (elected)
- Sick Time
- County Sick Leave Pool
- Bereavement Leave
- Family and Medical Leave
- Texas County and District Retirement System
- Full explanation of Benefits program available upon request