Performs laboratory testing of patient specimens in one or more sections of the laboratory. May mentor students and/or new hires.
Competencies and skills:Essential:
- Performs examination of specimens. Interprets, documents and reports test results.
- Performs quality control testing, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Verifies analytic accuracy, precision, sensitivity and references ranges for test methods.
- Serves as a resource to laboratory staff and other clinical staff as needed.
- STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR: Acts in a manner that supports the standards of communication, respect, privacy, and teamwork by demonstrating a commitment to professional and ethical conduct.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Demonstrates commitment to service excellence by promptly addressing internal/external customer issues/requests, resolving concerns while maintaining a professional image and behavior to build and enhance the patient/family/customer experience.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Accepts ownership of job roles and specific assignments/goals; works independently, takes responsibility for own actions; admits mistakes and judgment errors; and accepts constructive feedback. Connects personal work results to the accomplishment of team and organizational goals.
- RESPONDING TO CHANGE: Accepts change and adapts in a positive and productive manner; handles unexpected situations and changes in direction calmly and with confidence. Views new assignments and job responsibilities as an opportunity for growth.
- SPECIMEN HANDLING, ACCESSIONING, AND PROCESSING: Receives, accessions, and processes specimens.
- EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - LAB: Performs maintenance procedures on equipment and analyzers.
- ACCURACY: Completes work assignments within established quality and/or quantity standards.
- ANALYSIS AND DECISION MAKING: Uses decision making processes and tools to analyze situations and make effective decisions.
- CLINICAL POLICIES AND STANDARDS: Applies knowledge of clinical standards, policies, and procedures relevant to function and organization.
Education equivalent experience:Essential:
- Clinical Lab Technologist License - FL
- Clinical Lab Supervisor License - FL
- As required by Florida state licensure.
Complexity of Work:
Requires critical thinking skills, effective communication skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
Required Work Experience:
No experience required
- Bending and Stooping ; ; ; 60.00%
- Climbing ; ; ; 40.00%
- Keyboard Entry ; ; ; 60.00%
- Kneeling ; ; ; 20.00%
- Lifting or Carrying 0 - 25 lbs Non-Patient ; ; ; 60.00%
- Lifting or Carrying 25.01 lbs - 75 lbs Non-Patient ; ; ; 20.00%
- Pushing or Pulling 0 - 25 lbs Non-Patient ; ; ; 60.00%
- Pushing or Pulling 26 - 75 lbs Non-Patient ; ; ; 20.00%
- Reaching ; ; ; 60.00%
- Repetitive Movement Hand/Arm ; ; ; 60.00%
- Sitting ; ; ; 60.00%
- Squatting ; ; ; 40.00%
- Standing ; ; ; 60.00%
- Walking ; ; ; 60.00%
- Audible Speech ; ; ; 60.00%
- Hearing Acuity ; ; ; 60.00%
- Smelling Acuity ; ; ; 40.00%
- Depth Perception ; ; ; 60.00%
- Distinguish Color ; ; ; 60.00%
- Seeing - Far ; ; ; 60.00%
- Seeing - Near ; ; ; 60.00%
- Bio hazardous Waste ; ; ; 60.00%
- Biological Hazards - Respiratory ; ; ; 60.00%
- Biological Hazards - Skin or Ingestion ; ; ; 60.00%
- Blood and/or Bodily Fluids ; ; ; 60.00%
- Communicable Diseases and/or Pathogens ; ; ; 60.00%
- Dust ; ; ; 40.00%
- Gas/Vapors/Fumes ; ; ; 40.00%
- Hazardous Chemicals ; ; ; 60.00%
- Latex ; ; ; 20.00%
- Computer Monitor ; ; ; 60.00%
- Fire Risk ; ; ; 40.00%
- Hazardous Noise ; ; ; 20.00%
- Heating Devices ; ; ; 60.00%
- Moving Mechanical Parts ; ; ; 60.00%
- Needles/Sharp Objects ; ; ; 60.00%
- Potential Electric Shock ; ; ; 40.00%
- Potential for Physical Assault ; ; ; 20.00%
- Radiation ; ; ; 40.00%
- Wet or Slippery Surfaces ; ; ; 40.00%
Since the opening of the one-story, 100-bed Memorial Hospital in 1953, the South Florida community has benefited from caring and compassionate healthcare at Memorial Regional Hospital. Today, with 553 beds and as the flagship facility of Memorial Healthcare System, Memorial Regional Hospital is one of Florida’s largest and most sophisticated hospitals, offering leading-edge care and technologies. Services include:
Medical and Surgical Services
Emergency Room and Level I Trauma Center
Memorial Cancer Institute
Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute
Memorial Neuroscience Institute
The Family Birthplace
Wasie Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
We are also home to a team of dedicated professionals, all of whom deliver nationally recognized, award-winning care. Memorial Regional Hospital has received Press Ganey’s Guardian of Excellence Award for Patient Satisfaction (Inpatient Behavioral Health) for three consecutive years, has been recognized by Truven Health Analytics as one of the nation’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals, and for the last seven years has received the Gold Plus Achievement Award from the American Stroke Association.
This job description is not intended, nor should it be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.