Earning $22,000 this summer working in 3 different cities in CHINA.
Master Teacher – Summer 2020
The position of Master Teacher at IDEAS Summer School is offered to experienced primary school, secondary-school, college, and university faculty with expertise in some branch of science or mathematics. Master Teachers are creative professionals who are credentialed in their field, passionate about teaching, and eager for a cross-cultural summer teaching experience at an innovative new boarding program in China.
As a specialized and professional international camp education institution, IDEAS Education are dedicated to providing high-quality summer camp and summer school programs and activities for teenagers aging from 4 to 18 years old, aiming to help teenagers to develop learning abilities, living and survival skills as required in the 21st century.
IDEAS Education started China’s very first camp education center in 2008 and cooperates with camps from 27 countries all over the globe. More than 90,000 teenager and campers have visit IDEAS Education.
In the summer of 2019, IDEAS Education teamed up with 8 top international education experts include phycologist, neuron scientist, cytologist from Phillips Exeter Academy, MIT, Harvard University and Stanford University to create an innovative, American-style, summer academic program for 7- to-12-year-olds right here in China.
IDEAS Summer School are in residence for two weeks at three different school campuses in Changshu, Shenzhen,andQingdao/Beijing. Student-campers come from all over China to participate in an English immersion program that combines exciting courses in science and English literature with physical education, studio art, and traditional summer camp games. Faculty are native English speakers from the United States and the United Kingdom who share a commitment to positive youth development in an entertaining and supportive environment that opens young minds to the joys of discovery, friendship, and global awareness. For more than a decade, IDEAS has been a world leader in blending the best Western youth development programs with the best Chinese staff and facilities.
Within the guidelines of an interdisciplinary course description provided by IDEAS, Master Teachers will design the specifics of an interactive, hands on, two-week science course for Chinese 7-8/9-10/11-12 year-olds with emerging English skills. All teaching will be conducted in English and each Master Teacher will enjoy the in-room support of two English-speaking Activity counselors that teaches the English literature and English reading and writing who you will have to work with to deliver the interdisciplinary courses together.
All classes will have 15-20 student-campers and you will have two Activity Counselors take turns to assist you on the class delivery. In the late afternoon and evening, during which student-campers enjoy physical education, art, and games, Master Teachers will have time to relax and prepare for the following day’s classes.
Competitive hiring begins on November 1stand will be completed no later than January 1st, after which IDEAS will provide assistance procuring the appropriate Chinese visa. Also, in January, IDEAS will provide Master Teachers with their detailed course descriptions and learning objectives, engaging online orientation and training, and detailed travel itineraries. Master Teachers will be asked to draft and submit their day-by-day course syllabi and materials lists by February 20st, allowing the rest of the teaching team to provide support and suggestions on a final draft, due on March 15th.
In the middle of June, Master Teachers will travel to Shanghai and gather in Changshu (just northwest of Shanghai) with Activity Counselors (English-speaking university students) and IDEAS staffs for a 7-day orientation and training. (Please arrive 2 days prior to adjust the jetlag.)
Meals and accommodations will be provided in the campus. Between each of the three 13-day sessions, during the 2-day transition, Master Teachers will enjoy paid transportation to the next school campus, one day rest in the middle of the 13-day sessions will enjoy guided tour of the host city. Comfortable room and board will be provided at each campus and Master Teachers will have time in the day and evening to prepare for the following day’s classes.
- Important Dates to Consider
The date below is considered as China Time
- June 18: Depart for Shanghai (one-way from your city to Shanghai)
- June 18-20: Adjustment for jetlag.
- June 21—27: Orientation and training at United World College in Changshu, near Shanghai
- June 28—July 10: Summer School Session 1(Changshu)
- July 12—July 24: Summer School Session 2(Shenzhen)
- July 26—August 7: Summer School Session 3(Qingdao)
- August 8 : Return flight home from Beijing (one-way from Beijing to your city), we will help you to arrange the transportation from Qingdao to Beijing
- Preparatory Responsibilities (after hire)
- By Feuruary20th: Complete the necessary paperwork for a Chinese visa. (Note: IDEAS will not reimburse any related expenses.)
- Three times in April: Participate in live online training with IDEAS’ Director of Studies. Content include Discussion-based learning, Design and implementation of the, Chinese Children Behavior Management, China Culture popularize, School logistics…etc
- By March 15th: Draft and submit a detailed course syllabus, including a materials list for the course and the student-campers’ final project.
- By June 18: Arrive on-site in Shanghai for a 7-day group orientation and training. Content include demo class discussion, Professional teacher-student boundaries, Teaching English Language Learner, go through each teacher’s syllabi…etc
- Teaching Responsibilities
- July and early August: Travel with the other faculty and staff to each of the three IDEAS Summer School locations.
- Design a curriculum that suits one of the age group, 7-8/9-10/11-12, and adjust the course content according to the student’s English level and learning performance with the help of IDEAS Sumer School program coordinator.
- Teach morning and afternoon classes, from 9am to 12pm and 2pm to 5pm,for an initial five days, followed by a day off, then a final five days, for each of the three two-week sessions.
- Complete a student-campers performance assessment form every day. Write brief comment slips (in lieu of grades) at the end of every session for each of the student-campers, summarizing their strengths, weakness, and your recommendations for further intellectual growth.
- Final Showcase requirement
- During the parents’ visit on the final day of the session, help the student-campers to create a minimum 15 minutes showcase of the Interdisciplinary learning by the student-camper.The project can include but not limited in physical model, poster, drama, speeches… to showcasing their project of the interdisciplinary theme and share the professional academic studies of the program.
- We believe that the teachers perform an excellent teaching in 13 days, during the final showcase, Master Teacher will prepare a 8 to 10 minutes speech about the teaching philosophy of the interdisciplinary learning, student-campers’ learning progress, fun moments in the class to let the parents in China understand the atmosphere of the interdisciplinary learning.
- In order to be eligible for Master Teacher status, candidates must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Current good standing as a qualified primary-school, secondary-school, college, or university faculty member during the preceding academic year.
- Minimum 8 years or more experience in education industry.
- No criminal record; no pending lawsuits
- Proof of current personal health insurance
- Signed primary care (MD, PA, or ARNP) letter attesting to the candidate’s excellent health and suitability for international work and travel
- Some prior experience and interest working with youth ages 7-12
- Valid passport, not due to expire before March, 2021
- Full availability from China Time June 18 through August 7, 2020, plus participation in three, one-hour, online orientation and training sessions in April
- Three glowing references, including one from your current supervisor
- The strongest Master Teacher candidates exhibit the following traits:
- Superlative academic pedigree, expertise in one or more scientific or mathematical fields, and a strong record of continuous professional development
- A recognized teacher qualification certificate or documentation of equivalent professional qualifications (masters or doctoral degrees preferred)
- Youthful exuberance, tempered by consummate professionalism, an expressed commitment to teaching Chinese youth, ages 7-12, and the utmost respect for teacher-student boundaries
- Strong organization and planning skills, perseverance, flexibility, a love of working collaboratively, and an openness to giving and receiving feedback
- Evidence of openness to cross-cultural experiences, principles of inclusion and equity, enthusiasm for travel, and the creativity to design and implement age-appropriate, experiential coursework based on an existing interdisciplinary curriculum (Note: Detailed course descriptions and learning objectives will be provided.)
- Energy to effectively motivate students, engage participation, and create a warm, professional, and welcoming classroom atmosphere
- Ability to notice and support the resolution of students’ academic challenges
- If you have more to offer:
- Qualified to teach English Language Learner (ELL) at CEFR English level A1-A2.
- More than 3 years of experience in teaching ELL.
- 15,000—22,000* USD packaged salary. (No additional expense will be provided.)
- Fully paid and fully arranged domestic transportation to all three campuses, including return transportation to Shanghai from Beijing at the end of Session 3.
- Three mealsduring the orientation and training week in Changshu in late June.
- Meals and accommodations on the host school’s campus during each of the three 2-week sessions of IDEAS Summer School Camp
- One day group tours in or near each of the three cities where IDEAS Summer School will be in residence of sightseeing in the host city during the week of rest.
*Individual Chinese Income Tax around 11.72% will be deducted
**No partial contracts are permitted. In the unlikely event of injury or illness that prevents the Master Teacher from completing the required commitment, IDEAS will compensate Master Teachers for the number of days worked.
***Summertime, one-way, economy-class fares from the US and UK average $800.
- Optional document to apply for
- If you would like to reduce your Income China tax to 11.72%, you will have to apply a form 6166, which is a form that the IRS sends to you, proving that you are a US resident who pays income tax in the US.
- Statement of Non-Discrimination
- IDEAS believe in the importance of being a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization that enables our young participants and adult employees to thrive under the guidance of sterling role models. We are committed to building an exceptionally talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our young participants. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of culture and identity. As an equal opportunity employer, IDEAS hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or veteran status.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $7,500.00 to $11,000.00 /month
- Teaching: 5 years (Preferred)
- Science related teaching: 2 years (Preferred)
Full Time Opportunity:
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Aggressive -- competitive and growth-oriented
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative