Do you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment? Do you have a passion for cloud and virtualization technologies? Are you a continuous learner, organized, and enjoy working in a collaborative team environment? Are you ready to use your skills to help solve problems? If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a cloud engineer to provide leadership and direction for a platform providing virtualized GPU-enabled artificial intelligence compute for advanced research.
In this role the cloud engineer...
- Provides architectural expertise, direction and assistance to developers, data engineers, data scientists, system administrators and managers
- Sets technical direction by evaluating related and emerging technologies to identify new capabilities for enterprise use
- Implements & documents technical solutions, operational procedures and user guidance
- Provisions, monitors, and maintains the compute platform
You'll meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Hold a Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent years of related professional work experience
- Demonstrate ability to investigate and resolve moderately complex problems using current job knowledge, research data and external resources
- Able to work effectively with leadership to prioritize competing tasks
- Demonstrate solid communication and listening skills within a collaborative team environment
- Ambitious to learn, effectively plan and organize work, seek and share knowledge on a continuous basis.
- Five (5) years of experience in Linux administration, particularly RedHat or Ubuntu
- Three (3) years' experience installing, configuring, and deploying Openstack components and hypervisors
- Experience coding and scripting with Bash, PowerShell, Python, Ruby and/or Perl
- Experience with Deep Learning frameworks and hardware accelerators (e.g. GPU and FPGA)
- Proficiency with automation and configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet, or Terraform
- Experience with cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure
- Ability to maintain code using source control management tools like SVN and Git
You go above and beyond if you have...
Special Working Conditions:
- A Master's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field
- Experience using container-based orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes) and run-time environments (e.g. Docker)
- Experience securing Unix and cloud native applications
- Knowledge ofVMWare hypervisor and network virtualization
- Knowledge of distributed computing and big data architectures (e.g. Hadoop, Spark)
- Knowledge of Agile and DevOps processes
- Occasional weekend and other after-hours work may be required to handle and/or complete critical work to meet APL's business needs
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.