The primary role of the ESL Teacher is to implement, develop, and execute instruction of the Goodwill Excel Center ESL curriculum. The ESL Teacher will employ a student-centered approach, effectively tailoring the instructional strategies to the individual students’ needs and approaching instruction with creativity and innovation. Strategies may include but are not limited to direct instruction, one-on-one instruction, seminars, small group learning, self-paced lessons, blended learning and courses, and online learning tools. The ESL will work with the instructional team in meeting the educational objectives and adhering to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide instruction to students in the area of ESL and Humanities Courses (Primarily ESOL 1 and 2; ESL Workshop; ESL MAPS) that ensures mastery of Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
2. Plan lessons, projects and units for use during classroom instruction and ensure the successful execution and implementation of these plans.
3. Build and shape instruction around student’s needs.
4. Design and implement assessments to measure progress towards academic standards both summatively and formatively using traditional as well as alternative assessment techniques.
5. Provide tutorials for English language Learners.
6. Maintain records, document student progress, and provide tutorials for English Language Learners.
7. Use attendance and assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices to achieve learning goals.
8. Focus constantly on student learning by thinking critically and strategically to respond to specific student learning needs across ability levels.
9. Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade/ability-level activities, and school-wide functions aimed at improving student retention, productivity, school culture, and new student orientation.
10. Communicate student progress effectively with students and colleagues.
11. Collaborate with Life Coaches, Lead Teachers, Coordinators, Head of School, and other colleagues to support student success and progress toward graduation and post-secondary planning.
12. Attend all team and professional development meetings.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist school team with outreach efforts and community integration events throughout the school year.
2. Collaborate with teachers to integrate technology into traditional content areas throughout the school curriculum.
Perform other duties as assigned.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Adult Education or other related area of study.
2. ESL Teaching Certification.
3. Must have a proven record of results that illustrate the teacher’s ability to increase student achievement utilizing subject-specific instructional strategies.
4. Experience working with English Language Learners and immigrant students.
5. Must be able to understand work instructions in English.
6. Must have a broad knowledge of the principles and practices of current educational trends in ESL curriculum and instruction.
7. Must have working knowledge of computer programs and accessing internet applications such as Student Information Systems, Microsoft Products, Google Applications (Gmail), Excel, Microsoft Word, and Internet Explorer.
8. Must possess superior verbal and written communication skills.
9. Must be self-motivated willing to be a team player.
10. Must be adaptable to shifting priorities while maintaining a positive learning environment.
11. Must have the ability to embrace change positively and manage their workload independently.
12. Must possess the essential mindset that all students can achieve at high levels.
13. Must possess understanding of marginalization and how it impacts those Goodwill serves and employs.
14. Exhibit respect for diversity of thought and have experience to advance it in teams/organization.
15. Must demonstrate a maturity of practice using the 7 pillars and principals of servant leadership.
16. Must be able to successfully pass a background check and complete fingerprinting requirement.
1. Master’s Degree in Education, Adult Education or other related area of study.
2. 1+ years of experience providing instruction to adults.
3. Experience working with high school age students in urban, non-traditional, and/or adult education setting.
4. Bilingual in Spanish or Arabic and English.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
$45,000 - $55,000 depending on experience and qualifications.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.