A Future with purpose
At Arup we’re dedicated to sustainable development and to do socially useful work that has meaning. Our purpose, shared values and collaborative approach has set us apart for over 75 years, guiding how we shape a better world.
We solve the world's most complex problems and deliver what seems impossible, with curiosity and creativity. We’re a thriving and growing organization which offers you many possibilities to shape a better world, and your future.
Develop sustainable water engineering solutions, including green infrastructure, flood risk and mitigation, water treatment, water reuse, master planning, utility impacts, resilience planning, and sustainability assessments on a variety of site development and civil infrastructure projects.
- Conduct data collections and field investigations
- Use CAD (Civil 3D and/or MicroStation/Inroads) software to design drainage and utility systems and site grading
- Use ArcGIS or other georeferenced mapping platforms to prepare utility plans or hydrology/hydraulic maps
- Prepare 1-D and 2-D hydrologic and hydraulic models for flood risk assessments, stormwater management, and sanitary and potable water systems. Software may include programs such as InfoWorks ICM, PCSWMM, XPSWMM, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, Storm and Sanitary Analysis, EPANET, InfoWater, and others
- Review and apply applicable codes, specifications and standards for the design and implementation of the above elements
- Develop awareness of interdependence among disciplines in delivering sustainable and resilient outcomes
- Provide work products for projects at various phases of planning, design and construction
- Successfully navigate the regulatory environment to gain approvals at various stages of project delivery
- Proactively interact with our clients to effectively address their needs and concerns
- Develop a big-picture awareness that permeates various skill areas in Arup
- Prepare reports, calculations, plans, exhibits and specifications
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations to technical and non-technical audiences
Is this role right for you?
We’re looking for graduates who are curious and ready to evolve how you think and work. Our strength comes from how we respect, share and connect our diverse experiences, perspectives and ideas. At Arup, you belong to an extraordinary collective – in which we encourage individuality to thrive. If you can share your knowledge and ideas and encourage others to do the same; whilst having a desire to deliver excellent services for clients – we’d like to hear from you.
- Completed a professional degree in Civil and/or Environmental Engineering or Water Resources Engineering
- Competence with engineering software and technical writing
- Core understanding of water resources engineering and civil engineering fundamentals
- Evidence of past engineering internship or extracurricular activity in the field
- The ability to prioritize and effectively lead assigned work tasks, and maintain exceptional organizational skills under dynamic working conditions
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential to team-based working
- Public speaking and presentation skills appropriate for presentations to colleagues and clients of varying levels of technical knowledge
- Candidate must be eligible to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA or higher
- Master’s Degree in Civil and/or Environmental Engineering or Water Resources Engineering
- Proficiency in civil/water engineering, design and analysis
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (Civil 3D, OpenRoads, etc.), GIS, BIM and/or other industry-relevant software
- Proficiency with hydraulic & hydrologic analysis tools
- Coursework or familiarity with sustainable design principals, and/or resilient design
Our team’s notable projects
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day. Notable projects from our offices include:
- Kensico Eastview Connection Tunnel
- Santa Clara Valley Water Raw Water System Master Plan
- Lower Alemany Storm Water Improvement Project
What we offer you
When you start your career with Arup, you will have the opportunity to deliver high quality valuable work for our clients. Our inclusive and diverse work environment will allow you to thrive and build your technical, project management and business development skills needed to be successful in our firm. As a Graduate you have the opportunity to attend our Graduate Experience Program giving you the opportunity to meet your peers across the region and learn about our people, projects, and clients through panel discussions, design activities, and networking events.
New York City Hiring Range - The good faith base salary hiring range for this job if performed in New York City, NY is $74,000 to $81,000 per year. Benefits are not included in the base salary. Please note hiring ranges for candidates performing work outside of New York City, NY will differ.
Benefits that Work - At Arup, we have a comprehensive and valuable benefits program that works for our employees and their families while keeping costs low. These benefits provide health and welfare security for you as well as paid time off for rest and renewal. Our Global Profit Share Plan (paid bi-annually) provides an opportunity for you to share in the success of the Firm. As a valued employee of Arup, you can also choose to participate in our 401(k) plan with up to 10% company match to help you save for your future.
Flexible Working - We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for alternative schedules and the ability to work outside of the office for a portion of your workweek are available.
We will be reviewing our candidates for this position on a rolling basis. Once you have applied you will be evaluated and potentially moved on to the next round, at which point a member of the talent resourcing team will reach out to you directly.
Different people, shared values
Our internal employee networks support our inclusive culture – from race, ethnicity and cross-cultural working to gender, LGBTQ+ and disability – we aim to create a space for you to express yourself and make a positive difference - Discover more about life at Arup at www.arup.com/careers/your-life-at-arup.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, spouse of protected veteran, or disability.