Founded in 1990, the New York Legal Assistance Group provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. The organization serves immigrants, seniors, the homebound, families facing foreclosure, renters facing eviction, low-income consumers, those in need of government assistance, children in need of special education, domestic violence victims, persons with disabilities, patients with chronic illness or disease, low-wage workers, low-income members of the LGBTQ community, Holocaust survivors, and others in need. The organization serves more than 87,000 New Yorkers annually, New York Legal Assistance Group maintains a paid staff of approximately 290, supported by 2,200 pro bono attorneys and other volunteers and interns. For more information, applicants are encouraged to visit www.nylag.org.
The New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) seeks a highly motivated bilingual paralegal for a full-time position representing individuals and families in applications for immigration relief. This position will work with a team of three attorneys on the Office for New Americans (ONA) to provide consultations, presentations, legal representation, and technical support for community based organizations in Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Nassau, Queens, and Richmond counties. The paralegal will also work in a supportive role assisting attorneys in representing immigrants in removal proceedings before the Immigration Courts and assisting with the unit’s general client intake.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to three ONA attorneys who represent immigrants in Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Nassau, Queens, and Richmond counties.
- Screen clients for eligibility for immigration relief.
- Assist attorneys with immigration applications.
- Interview clients and witnesses, as appropriate, and assist in preparing forms, affidavits, and other supporting documents to be submitted to USCIS or the Immigration Court.
- Conduct client consultations and track client cases, progress of applications, and follow up.
- Represent NYLAG at community events.
- Coordinate outreach to community organizations and provide group presentations to advise potential clients of their legal rights and entitlements and to educate community partners.
- Travel through Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Nassau, Queens, and Richmond counties to meet with clients and conduct consultations and attend community events.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Associates Degree, or Paralegal studies certificate required.
- Fluency in Spanish or other language common to our client population other than English required
- One to three years of relevant experience working on immigration matters is preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest and social justice.
- Experience working with survivors of trauma.
- Excellent judgment and attention to detail.
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Former DOJ/BIA accreditation or willingness to seek accreditation within 6 months of hire.
NYLAG’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
NYLAG is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, and those with lived experiences in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.