Full Job Description
For more than 30 years, the Virginia Lottery has been building an amazing organization committed to growth and giving back and having fun while doing it. We work hard to build authentic relationships with all Virginians by communicating with them in relevant, unique and surprising ways. Operating entirely on revenue from game sales, rather than tax dollars, the Virginia Lottery generates approximately $1.6 million per day for Virginia’s K-12 public schools.
The Virginia Lottery is currently seeking a Digital Designer to join our Digital Department.
The Digital Designer will be the lead resource for all design needs for the Lottery’s Digital Department. The role’s primary responsibility will lie in the design of cutting-edge, effective creative to support the department’s digital advertising and marketing activities, including the production of large batches of assets on short turnaround timelines. In addition to these responsibilities, the Digital Designer may also be called on to provide insight and design work for creative on all digital platforms to support Digital Department initiatives.
This role will have extensive knowledge of technology and current trends and best practices as pertains to digital advertising tactics. This includes the use of static graphics and animation, and creating versatile content optimized for display on multiple platforms and devices.
As a member of the Digital Games & Advertising team, this position will also provide insights and strategy recommendations for how best to support the Lottery’s digital games, promotions, retail partnerships, Affiliate marketing and all other initiatives from a creative standpoint.
Digital Advertising Creative duties will include:
– Supporting the Digital Department’s online advertising strategy by generating static and animated assets for placement into targeted display and social media advertising buys
– Working with members of the Digital Department to determine design needs, come up with creative ideas and communicate them to members of the team
– Working in a combined agile and waterfall environment, designing batches of themed and eye-catching assets to advertise a myriad of products, promotions, and events
– Supporting an iterative, always-optimizing philosophy and being able to re-imagine existing creative concepts and create new supporting assets to go direct-to-market in a rapid turnaround time-frame
– Being able to take a single design concept and diversify it into large sets of assets of various dimensions and types while staying true to the original theme
Affiliate Program Creative duties will include:
– Working with the Affiliate Program Manager on the creative strategy for the department’s affiliate program including participation on sales calls and business reviews
– Generating creative assets custom-designed to integrate with myriad third-party websites, staying true to the vendor websites’ branding, look, and feel
– Working with the Affiliate Program Manager to identify opportunities for changes in creative strategy to improve effectiveness of program for low-performing partners, including a/b testing and potential new creative direction
– Helping to maintain a catalog of affiliate creative inventory to make new and existing creative assets available to all partners
Digital Engagement Creative duties will include:
– Assisting the Digital Engagement Team in creating graphic assets to support email marketing initiatives
– Designing assets to support promotional activities such as bonuses, free games, new product launches, winner awareness, and all other promotional activity supporting the Digital Department
Other duties will include:
– Collaborating with design teams from Web Team and Marketing Department on various projects as needed
– Working with agency partners on various projects
– Creating graphic assets for organic social media posts as needed
– Other projects as assigned
The person selected for this position will have:
– Degree in Design from an accredited 4-year college or comparable professional experience
– 3 plus years’ experience with visual design for web and mobile
– Fluent in modern web trends, techniques, and technologies
– Experience in generating large quantities of static and animated banners and other assets
– Experience designing within agile marketing principles and methodologies, employing fast-paced iteration and optimization
– Expert level proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Illustrator, Photoshop, and Animate (or other animation software)
– Familiarity with all major online advertising providers and programmatic ad buying, with the ability to provide insight on service provider selection
– Ability to variate a single design into multiple themes to engage various target audience segments
– Ability to create media optimized for all browsers, devices, and display advertising platforms and advise on best practices to optimize display and engagement for each
– Strong knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography, and digital marketing
A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Preferred qualifications include:
– Knowledge of HTML, CSS, Video editing/production, and 3-D Design
The selected candidate will be required to pass a background investigation.
Special Instructions to Applicants
The Virginia Lottery is an independent state agency, and as such all positions are exempt from the Virginia Personnel Act, as well as most Executive Branch human resources policies. The Virginia Lottery is a fun place to work and values diversity in the workforce. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. The Virginia Lottery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Only online applications completed in their entirety will be accepted for this position.
The Virginia Lottery will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. If any assistance is needed when applying online, please contact the Virginia Lottery’s Human Resources Department at 804-692-7000.
Applications will be accepted until a suitable pool of candidates is received. After 5 business days, this position may be closed at any time.
Name Human Resources