Title: Director of Communications
The United States Navy Memorial Foundation:
The Navy Memorial Foundation performs its mission “to Honor, Recognize and Celebrate the men and women of the Sea Services, past, present and future, and to Inform the public about their service” through exhibits, programs and events. With the Naval Heritage Center, the 222-person Arleigh Burke Theater, the Navy Log and the Ship’s Store, we are located adjacent to the United States Navy Memorial (Plaza) which is operated by the National Park Service. With a $6M budget, we have informative and engaging exhibits, are recognized as the “CNO’s Quarterdeck,” and host hundreds of events throughout the year honoring the men and women of the sea services.
The Navy Memorial ‘s vision is to become a “destination location” by producing great events, programs and exhibits while at the same time operating efficiently and effectively as an “employer of choice” and generating enough revenue to do even greater events, programs and exhibits.
Nature of the Position:
The Director of Communications will develop and execute the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate the Navy Memorials mission. The Director of Communications will ensure that the Navy Memorial is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within this diverse network and constituent base. The Director of Communications supervises the Content Manager and will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated, organization wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness of the US Navy Memorial and strengthen the Navy Memorial’s brand identity across key stakeholder audiences
- Create and execute a communications strategy that will support the Navy Memorial leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with members, Navy leaders and other targeted, high level external audiences, including the media, public officials and key influencers
- Work with the Navy Memorial team to recognize and leverage internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Oversee the continued development and use of the Navy Memorial brand
- Oversee, or execute as needed, all copy intended for public consumption to ensure its alignment with the strategic communications plan
- Oversee, or execute as needed, the development of all print and branded materials
- Oversee, or execute as needed, the development of electronic communications, including Navy Memorial’s website, electronic newsletter and other electronic communications
- Engage tourism industry community and other applicable touchstones to increase Navy Memorial visibility.
- Curate content and increase audience engagement on Navy Memorial’s social media channels
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Serve as lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization and actively cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage of issues of strategic importance to the sector, as well as Navy Memorial’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Manage relationships with any communications related vendors or consultants
- Recruit and manage a communications support team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
Measures of Performance:
The Director of Communication’s performance is directly related to communicating in three areas:
- Aggressively and consistently communicating the mission
- Compelling copy that causes members, prospects, donors, sponsors and partners to support and/or donate to the Navy Memorial
- Executing a comprehensive Communication Calendar
- Drafting and executing the communications plan
- Level of engagement with key audiences such as members, prospects, donors, sponsors and partners.
- Consistency and compelling brand and communication efforts
- The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Setting and meeting meaningful social media goals
- Collaborating with peers to communicate their specific messaging to targeted audiences
- Specific contribution to mission metrics, including number of visitors, number of Navy Log entries, number of event attendees and others
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 7+ years’ experience in a communications role
- Experience managing and executing across several communications media
- Ability to prioritize and follow through effectively
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
Job Type: Full-time
- Marketing: 7 years (Required)
- Communications: 7 years (Required)