Massdrop is looking for a proven, energetic individual with a passion for storytelling, media relations and relationship building to join the marketing team and bring our story to the world.
The VP of Communications will lead all aspects of Massdrop's narrative, PR and communication strategy, and execution, in alignment with Massdrop's overarching marketing strategy. You will work closely with the executive leadership team to craft a cohesive, consumer-facing narrative to increase brand relevance and drive its delivery across multiple internal and external stakeholder groups. A seasoned communications leader, you will leverage internal and external resources to drive impact, proactively leveraging a broad set of media touch points to establish and grow Massdrop's prominence in the public dialogue around products, community, technology, and culture. You will also thoughtfully contribute to the leadership of the Massdrop brand identity, values, voice and content generation.
Here is what you will do as part of the team:
The VP of Communications will lead the strategy and approach to deliver measurable earned media and PR goals for our Brand, Product, Commerce and Community initiatives.
Collaboration and effective coordination are critical to success at Massdrop. This candidate must collaborate effectively with internal stakeholders across the executive team, marketing, commerce, finance, product, and engineering to ensure high-impact results at scale in the following areas:
Narrative and Brand Relevancy:
Consumer, Community and Content Marketing:
- Own Massdrop's brand relevancy strategy, positioning, and storytelling.
- Establish and deepen the company's media and press relationships
- Define and execute the company's social media execution strategy, working closely with stakeholders in Community, Category Marketing, and Brand Marketing.
- Establish and deepen Massdrops collaborative relationships with co-marketing partners
- Develop communications strategies to establish and extend Massdrop's thought leadership within key product and culture categories
- Grow and develop Massdrops event strategy and define unique opportunities to elevate Massdrops presence.
- Work closely with Merchandising and Brand Marketing to identify product stories and content programs that can be used in communications programs and content marketing vehicles.
- Identify and cultivate key influencers who can help tell the Massdrop story and drive relevance among key consumer and industry groups.
- Safeguard Massdrop's brand through rapid yet thorough response plans to address complex, potentially heated public issues affecting the company, executives, and board.
- With Marketing Operations, Identify and manage our communications agency partners and external media resources
- Selectively identify and develop programs to influence key opinions in the analyst community.
And here are the skills and experience you will need to be successful:
- 12+ years of corporate communications, PR, external and internal communications, including substantial in consumer context.
- Demonstrated mastery of internal and external communications with a fluency in the most current communications mediums and how these media need to be linked as part of a communications platform to create a differentiated brand.
- You will bring current and relevant depth in digital, social and content-driven communications.
- Relevant Industry Experience:
- Ideally in technology-led consumer-facing industry sectors, with a focus on e-commerce, retail, digital media and/or consumer internet companies.
- Influencer and Social Media Marketing Experience:
- Proven ability to create and utilize strong media and key influencer relationships to drive results; experience working with journalists at key outlets across print, broadcast and online channels.
- Crisis Communications Experience:
- Experience building and executing media campaigns, crisis management plans, and advising C-suite leadership
- Versatility in Writing:
- Expert writing skills with an ability to write in a variety of styles and media, including business-to-business communications, speechwriting, and other corporate communications
- Seasoned and confident communicator:
- Experience presenting to executive leaders, board members, media, analysts, C-level customers and a variety of internal and external audiences.
This is a full-time on-site position at our San Francisco office.
Who we are:
Massdrop is community-driven commerce. We design products with input from our members and give them a place to connect, learn, and shop with people who share their interests.