Assistant Project Manager “APM” for a family owned, commercial real estate development business
- Must have a BS degree in related Construction field
- Minimum 1-3 years of Construction and / or Project Management
- General understanding of building materials and
- General understanding of state and federal codes as it applies to construction and
- Strong organizational
- Ability to manage and delegate a multitude of tasks, assignments and changing priorities
- The ideal candidate will be a confident, self-starter, with excellent communication
- Experience with MS Word, MS Excel, MS
The assistant project manager will report directly to the Director of Construction.
The company will be acquiring different types of projects. At this point in time, projects will consist mostly of retail developments, but historically this has varied to include significant office and industrial acquisitions. Developments include, but are not limited to:
- New construction (ground-up) – Purchase of a site and construction of a new building or
- Redevelopment or repurposing of existing buildings (i.e. converting an old warehouse into a retail / restaurant building or office building).
- Existing, cash flowing properties (i.e., purchasing an old retail center or office building and adding value by upgrading the façade and / or re-tenanting).
After a property is identified and site is selected for acquisition, but prior to closing an acquisition, the APM will be responsible in some capacity for the following:
- Assist in pre-closing due diligence (full or partial responsibility).
- Assist in assessing the physical structure and possible issues with the potential acquisition (in conjunction with vendors such as architects, engineers, contractors, ).
- Assist in estimating costs for renovation or new construction for budgeting
- Assist is conducting and coordinating all construction-related due diligence required for
- Assist in the planning & strategy of the development / re-development from a construction
- Assist in developing a construction budget and schedule for future
In addition, the company currently has approximately 40 (mostly retail) development projects in its portfolio, and periodically develops small or large construction projects on portfolio properties.
Managing Tenant Build Outs / Construction Related Items on Projects
- As leases are executed, APM will be responsible for the handover of leased spaces to tenants and will represent the developer in coordinating the build-out of leased tenant spaces. Responsibilities shall include:
- Create work letters for leasing team for each tenant
- Communicate with tenant / tenant’s construction team and oversee tenant’s entire construction process as it relates to meeting tenant’s commitments per the lease and constructing within the guidelines of the
- Review tenant’s construction drawings to assess viability or upcoming issues relative to a given project.
- Coordinate tenant design & construction build-out with the existing conditions of the overall property /
- Site visits during tenant’s build
The APM will assist the Construction Team on construction / development projects related to company properties, and have responsibilities including:
- Development of the project (new construction, re-development or re-positioning):
- Assist or lead coordinating, negotiating and executing all aspects of the development/re- development including but not limited to hiring and overseeing architects, engineers, general contractors, sub-contractors, and meeting with city / municipal
- Assist or lead the process of receiving all bids for a given
- Oversee construction, including regular site
- Assist or act as lead liaison to accounting department with regard to financial aspects of the development and cost controls, including but not limited to:
- Review pay applications / invoices from designers, contractors & vendors related to a given project (including assembling clear and concise application packages from contractors / tenants).
- Review monthly draw
- Reconcile construction budget with actual
- Manage project team to achieve critical milestones within budget
- Create and maintain project schedules, and monitor critical dates &
- Attend recurring project meetings with design and construction teams, take detailed notes and issue meeting
- Assist in the bidding and procurement of project signage, art, FF&E, and
The APM may also assist the Property Management Team on works related to property management, which shall include the following:
- Maintain personal contact with
- Building / Property
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $60,000.00 /year