As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
Please note that this position has been re-posted. If you have already submitted your application, you need not submit it again, as it has already been received.
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
The mission of the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity (OMAD) is to create pathways for diverse populations to access postsecondary opportunities, nurture and support their academic success, and cultivate a campus climate that enriches the educational experience for all. OMAD seeks to build a comprehensive pathway for students from underserved communities, deliver excellent academic support services to UW students, and advance university-wide diversity. OMAD staff enjoy a fast-paced mission-oriented work environment noted for its commitment to diversity and excellence.
OMAD has an outstanding opportunity for a Grants and Contracts Program Manager Washington MESA.
WA MESA is a statewide organization committed to building pathways to college and careers in science, technology, engineering &?mathematics (STEM) for traditionally underrepresented minority (URM) students, including women, Native Americans/Alaska Natives, African Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, and Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders.
WA MESA directs its programs toward Washington K-14 students. At the K-12 level, MESA serves over 4,000 students, providing them educational enrichment experiences and the practical help needed to prepare for university-level studies in a variety of science- and technology-related fields. MESA also works with teachers to help them implement STEM-related curriculum. At the two-year college level, WA MESA Community College Program (MCCP), operated in partnership with the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC), seeks to increase the number of historically underrepresented community college students who transfer to universities and earn a bachelor’s degree in a STEM-related field. As of 2018-19, MESA MCCP Centers serve 826 students.
We seek a Grants and Contracts Program Manager who specializes in fiscal oversight and accountability. The Grants and Contracts Program Manager serves a vital role and will establish financial protocols to ensure WA MESA’s financial health. The Grants and Contracts Program Manager will ensure that WA MESA implements a sustainable funding strategy for program efficacy, continuous improvement, and growth.
The Grants and Contracts Program Manager serves a vital role and will establish financial protocols to ensure WA MESA’s compliance with UW fiscal processes and policies.
The Grants and Contracts Program Manager will exercise financial leadership in management that includes statewide-decentralized centers and a state office. Our ideal candidate is a seasoned, skilled professional who has deep knowledge of how to develop and implement financial protocols; the ideal candidate has experience with the design of state, local, and/or federal grant or fund management system(s). It is vitally important that all centers expend WA MESA budget allocations yearly to ensure students receive programs and services.
The Grants and Contracts Program Manager will lead financial oversight of all WA MESA budgets. They will create WA MESA yearly operating budgets, implement or maintain internal protocols, monitor expenses, reconcile budgets, and provide WA MESA organization financial statistical and data analysis to sustain and maintain WA MESA’s financial health. The Grants and Contracts Program Manager is directly responsible for overseeing all WA MESA financial transactions and reconciling all budgets. Financial presentations are essential to establishing trust with WA MESA staff, K – 12, and MCCP Directors, internal and external stakeholders, current funders, and potential donors.
- Develop and implement an equitable funding protocol for K – 12 centers.
- Extract, format, and transform financial data into meaningful information.
- Develop financial budgets, excel spreadsheets, and real time monthly expenditures reports.
- Perform monthly budget reconciliation.
- Present financial reports and WA MESA yearly budget presentation for WA MESA state office to advisory board.
- Keep Executive Director and WA MESA Advisory board about financial risk management and lead efforts to make recommendations to ensure financial risks are alleviated.
- Analyze and improve fiscal, business, and pre-approval procedures.
- Meet with K -12 Directors and responsible administrators on a regular basis to present and report on the financial status for each contract or subcontract; present and discuss potential problem areas.
- Establish and maintain account management procedures including preparation and/or approval of monthly budget reports and ensure accurate reconciliation of expenditure documents with UW accounting reports and relevant grant award requirements.
- Lead and develop cost saving strategies, provide analysis and recommendations, as needed.
- Assist with implementation of necessary changes, following sponsor or donor guidelines and requirements.
- Federal Time and Effort review and compliance.
- Establish contracts and/or subcontracts - Sage and Ariba.
- Approve or deny allowable expenses and/or invoices.
- Obtain, review, and maintain documentation related to cost share support.
- Research issues and recommend actions for financial and operational policy development and analysis.
Compliance And Budgetary Responsibilities
- Manage and execute all contracts and/or subcontract duties, specifically proposal submission on behalf of WA MESA aligned to current K – 12 and MCCP programs.
- Advise contract or subcontract awardees, responsible administrators, or principal investigators on payroll compliance and budgetary requirements for staff supported by their grants and contracts.
- Based on results from monthly budget reports, advise awardees, responsible administrators, or principal investigators and provide short- and long-term personnel or expense projections related to funding.
- Serve as a representative of WA MESA with the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP), ensuring compliance with OSP deadlines and requirements, processing the EGC1s, and other UW requirements.
- Manage and oversee the proposal process from start to finish ensuring that all sponsor requirements are adhered to; create all administrative documents, ensure proper document formatting and requirements are met, accurate compilation of proposal documents based on sponsor requirements, upload all proposal documents via sponsor websites and obtain verification of successful application transmittal to sponsor.
Post-award duties and responsibilities
- This position will provide grant/contract support for individual K – 12 and MCCP programs.
- Serve as the primary liaison with sponsors, subcontracts and other UW units.
- Effectively manage and administer multiple funding opportunities. Develop and manage budgets, budget revisions and continued funding on multiple, complex budgets including state, federal, university/industry cooperative, contracts, subcontracts and university sub-budgets.
WA MESA Scholarship management
- WA MESA application and fund distribution.
- Manages and coordinates the preparation of materials and information for donor stewardship, events management, oversight of the awarding process, and marketing the scholarship program to potential recipients.
WA MESA Communication
REQUIREMENTS:Requirements: Bachelor's Degree and 4 -5 years’:
- Prepare regular financial reporting using compelling narratives as well as aesthetic design layouts for presentation and distribution to internal and external stakeholders in respective WA MESA grant or funding portfolios.
- Prepare WA MESA financial information, collaborate, and execute strategy with WA MESA leadership, advisory board, and/or consultants.
- Oversee fundraising consultant who will be responsible for writing and executing a robust fundraising strategy.
- Update WA MESA website content to include WA MESA Fast Financial Facts for all centers and update regularly.
- Produce financial content for quarterly newsletter and disseminate to WA MESA Advisory Board Members.
- Experience with UW online financial (i.e., ARIBA, MyFD, Workday, SAGE 1, etc.) and external grant submissions systems.
- Progressive financial management experience at an institution of higher education or industry affiliate.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practice accounting practices in state or federally funded organizations.
- Strong analytical skills to solve complex problems and situations.
- Considerable knowledge of regulations and laws related to college scholarship programs, state funding, and financial reporting.
- Considerable knowledge of student and donor outreach services to include marketing and counseling services.
- Demonstrated fund raising experience in orchestrating philanthropic projects.
- Demonstrated ability to perform financial data entry and utilize financial data systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of constituencies.
- Ability to manage demanding workflow and competing deadlines.
- Experience developing and maintaining clear, up to date, well-organized financial documentation.
- Skilled development of financial reports, graphs, charts, and other visuals, as required.
- Excellent writing skills.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Accounting
- Proven ability to plan, direct, and monitor the work of fundraising or grant writing consultants
- The ability to foster positive relationships with WA MESA leadership, staff, K – 12 and MCCP directors, internal/external stakeholders, underrepresented student population at various levels as well as state agencies and donors.
- A demonstrated strong commitment to inclusion and diversity within a university, K – 12, community college
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate financial shortfalls and communicate short- and long-term cost savings that refocus and drives the WA MESA organization.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.