The Greene Laboratory at Penn seeks a frontend Software Engineer to work under the direction of the lab director to develop interfaces that enable the interactive analysis large scale genomic datasets to biologists with limited computational expertise. The types of responsibilities will include:
Design, develop, and maintain web interfaces that enable users, primarily biologists, to access data and bioinformatics tools; Design, develop, and maintain web-based interactive visualizations that enable biologists to glean insights from data; Optimize new and existing interfaces and visualizations to allow them to scale to large datasets; Participate in code review.
The minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of experience with SASS, Less, or other CSS extension language, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, are required.
- Substantial expertise designing, developing, and delivering web-based interfaces
- Experience with unit testing, version control, and other aspects of continuous integration
- Ability to work productively and communicate effectively with people of varying technical backgrounds
- Understanding of software architecture, OO principles, and design patterns
- At least two years of experience with Illustrator, Photoshop, InVision, Sketch, Balsamiq, and/or other design tools
- At least one year of experience with Angular, React, or closely related software
- Good work ethic and self-motivation
- A mastery of the terminology of biology
- Proven problem solving abilities
- Project lead for a project from inception to delivery and maintenance
- Open source software repository or contributions are a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Web Development or a closely related field
If you are selected as a review candidate, you will be expected to ‘live-code’ a solution to a simple problem during the interview process.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.