- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field
- At least 7+ years work experience in a related field
- Demonstrated proficiency with Java, C++, or similar modern programming languages
- Solid expertise in data structures and algorithms
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases such as Oracle or DynamoDB
- Obsession with quality, operational excellence, and customer experience
- Strong problem solving and analytical abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work in a team environment
- Experience and willingness to mentor more junior engineers and help them develop their skills and leadership abilities
- Experience designing, building and deploying scalable, highly-available systems
Join Amazon and enjoy Fridays off or shorter work days year-round. Amazon is piloting part-time teams, where we are building high-visibility, enterprise-wide solutions, all on a 30-hour work week schedule. These solutions are at the heart of workforce planning for one of the most innovative and fastest growing companies on Earth. All team members, including managers, are on the same part-time schedule, eliminating the challenges that can come from being part-time on a full-time team. As a part-time engineer, you’ll receive the same benefits as full-time employees, with compensation proportionate to working ¾ time.
Would you like to use your engineering background to improve the workplace around the world? Amazon Connections is an innovative program that gives Amazonians an effective way to share feedback and help shape the future of the company. By leveraging machine learning, our systems create a continuous feedback mechanism to raise the bar on leadership and introduce positive changes in the workplace. Our goal is to help develop leaders who earn trust, remove barriers to excellence and make Amazon an inspiring place to work.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer in Connections you will be joining a talented and nimble team of engineers who are creating technology that changes the face of organization management. Leading the delivery of reliable, scalable, high-performance products and architectures with this level of impact requires exceptional technical expertise. Your knowledge and problem solving abilities will be applied to several problem domains, multiple development teams, and disparate classes of user. You will own decisions from design to rollout to operations. You will engage your customers directly, collaborating on solutions and getting immediate feedback on what you have built.
Along with its lifestyle benefits, this position offers unique challenges. Your leadership must elevate the performance of the team so that it can deliver at a high level within the part-time constraints. You must demonstrate extremely high standards for engineering and operational excellence so that the team's software is easily operated and maintained. You must be right a lot but also efficient in your decision making, knowledge sharing, and mentoring. The right candidate will see this as a rare opportunity to reduce work time, contribute to a remarkable program, and perform and grow as an engineering leader.
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and databases
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Ability to think abstractly and deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems
- Graduate degree
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.