The Manager of Telecommunications reports to the Director of Enterprise Telecommunication Services. Performs highly advanced and managerial telecommunications work for the Enterprise Telecommunications Services organization which supports the HHS enterprise, comprised of five agencies, over 56,000 employees, and multiple call centers, whereby working to ensure the delivery of cost effective voice communication services to HHSC programs so they may efficiently and effectively achieve their respective business goals & objectives.
This position establishes priorities, plans, assigns and supervises the work of Enterprise Telecommunications staff as well as manages vendors/suppliers to ensure optimal performance of the voice communication services across the enterprise. Work is performed under minimal supervision with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment
Essential Job Functions:
1. Oversees implementation of enterprise telecommunications strategy and manages operational services and supporting functions. Plan, design, implement, and provide ongoing support of highly complex enterprise telecommunications solutions (i.e. Avaya, Cisco) to fulfill business needs for performance and cost benefits.
2. Coordinates with other agencies, and vendors to deliver and enhance services, and resolve issues. Build and maintain relationships with all partners as well as provide a high level of technical consultancy to internal customer/business units.
3. Develops, documents, and oversees policies and procedures, project reporting, and incident management to ensure timely and predictable delivery of services.
4. Maintains, upgrades, and provides solutions to complex hardware and software problems; alerts senior level management and other IT organizations when sensitive issues arise or a major problem is encountered.
5. Minimizes client productivity loss caused by telecommunications outages and provides necessary infrastructure for clients to meet their needs.
6. Provide recommendations to management team to increase effectiveness of organization and technology solutions.
7. Mentors staff in their assigned duties in order to achieve highest standard of excellence in the department.
8. Develops, monitors, and evaluates service levels to ensure vendor compliance with contracts and satisfactory performance. Coordinates and directs problem resolution including direct coordination with vendors.
9. Oversees verification and reconciliation of vendor billing and invoicing against internal systems and reports.
10. Ensures compliance with appropriate Federal, State of Texas, and agency laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and Texas procurement regulations.
11. Assists the director of Enterprise Telecommunications Services in the development of plans, organizational models, and in the execution of new technologies and services for multiple agencies.
12. Work involves planning, budgeting, and analyzing user requirements, procedures, and problems to further automate telecommunications processes or to improve existing telecommunications systems.
13. Performs management activities to plan, organize, prioritize, direct, control, and evaluate technology and services in support of agency and statewide telephony infrastructure and services.
14. Oversees and participates in the objective evaluations, integration, and deployment of telecom software, hardware, and vendor solutions. Coordinates telecom service delivery with vendors.
15. Leads and participates in various information technology projects designed to ensure telecommunications disaster recovery and security processes are compliant with agency, State of Texas, and Federal requirements.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
- Ability to effectively develop, support, and continually improve an Enterprise Telecommunications Services Model to deliver reliable and highly available telecom services to five state agencies, over 56,000 employees, and multiple call centers.
- Extensive experience in oversight and management of telecommunications contracts, and in ensuring vendor contract compliance and service level compliance.
- Ability to oversee department activities; to establish goals and objectives; to devise solutions to complex telecommunications problems; to develop and evaluate technical policies and procedures; to prepare reports; to communicate effectively; and to plan, assign, and supervise the work of others.
- In-depth knowledge of voice telecommunications and telephone systems including networking principles and voice communications over data networks (VoIP).
- Understanding of technical documents, architectural plans, floor plans, site survey reports, test plans, schedules, procedures, acceptance test reports, and equipment performance reports.
- Demonstrated experience designing and overseeing systems using Avaya and Cisco telecommunications architectures.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of call center technologies and tools, including work force management, call recording, wallboards, IVR, reporting/analytics solutions, etc. Experience with Verint preferred.
- Knowledge of TDM and IP telephony protocol services. Ability to calculate staffing and trunking requirements and project capacity requirements.
- System provisioning functions and translations for trunk or circuit configurations, Automatic Call Distribution System (ACD), Interactive Voice Response Unit (IVR), Call flow design, client and agent skill builds.
- Understanding of network switching and routing as related to a Unified Communications and Voice over IP networks, including SIP, MGCP and H.323 protocol suites.
- Knowledge of State of Texas procurement practices and DIR contracts is preferred.
- Having a high degree of independent judgment to make sound decisions to keep the project on track.
Certification or ability to be certified one year following hire date in at least one of the following is required: Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL), Project Management Professional (PMP), Cisco Voice, Avaya technologies, or equivalent certification.
Initial Selection Criteria:
A minimum of five years technical experience in the telecommunications field.
Experience supporting call center applications or working in a call center environment in a technical role.
5 Years of management experience in a call center environment.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.