Principal Firmware Engineer
As a Principal Firmware Engineer at Micron Technology, Inc., you will develop high-performance controller firmware for innovative volatile
and non-volatile memory systems. In this position, you will assist in evaluating, designing, building, bench testing, debugging,
and failure analyzing firmware for new high-performance memory controllers and Solid State Drives that will increase performance,
while reducing power, latency and SoC (System on Chip) complexity for the target markets. You can expect to work closely with firmware engineers, firmware test engineers,
ASIC design engineers, system test engineers, system failure analysis engineers, product engineers, firmware tools developers to solve cross-functional product
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Successful candidate for this position will have:
- Participate as a team member and work effectively to develop SSD BackEnd firmware.
- Demonstrate proficiency in coding skills, failure analysis, and the use of tools that support these activities.
- Validate customer requirements and perform failure analysis on FW related issues.
- Develop structured source code targeting the embedded environment associated with state of the art memory.
- Perform design verification using a variety of verification methods, including simulation and product testing.
- Focus on firmware quality in the system and the target application.
- Participate in SCRUM/Agile processes and distributed code reviews.
- Develop new test tools and methods.
- Follow specific processes/procedures/work flows.
- Demonstrate the effective analysis of functional or performance issues with the firmware and hardware in test environments or target host systems.
- Technical communications will be required between other teams and the firmware team (both verbal and written).
- You will review, contribute to, and create clear documentation for deliverables that must meet both internal specifications/standards and SSD industry standards and specifications.
- 3+ Year of experience with storage Firmware development and debug using protocol analyzer.
- Knowledge or working experience with Nand flash.
- Strong working knowledge of firmware development, verification, system failure analysis, embedded systems design and real time embedded systems.
- Strong problem solving skills, including the ability to find creative solutions to difficult problems.
- Strong working knowledge of software engineering principles and designing and developing firmware using assembly and C/C++ programming.
- Strong debugging skills in an embedded firmware application including:
o Using development tools and IDE's such as Slick Edit, SourcePoint and Realview.
o Problem re-creation and trapping
o Logging and diagnostics
o Experience with digital hardware design and test equipment such as In-Circuit Emulators (ICE) and logic/bus analyzers
- Strong working knowledge analyzing complex firmware and hardware issues.
- Strong knowledge working identifying and optimizing performance of critical algorithms.
- Working knowledge of ARM Microprocessors, with experience on ARM Cortex.
- Knowledge of the Agile software development process life cycle.
- Strong knowledge of structured firmware development process and life cycle.
- Strong skills in communicating complex technical ideas/concepts.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and communicate effectively (written and verbal) across multiple locations and teams.
- Education: BS or MS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering.
We recruit, hire, train, promote, discipline and provide other conditions of employment without regard to a person's race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, veteran’s status, or other classifications protected under law. This includes providing reasonable accommodation for team members' disabilities or religious beliefs and practices.
Each manager, supervisor and team member is responsible for carrying out this policy. The EEO Administrator in Human Resources is responsible for administration of this policy. The administrator will monitor compliance and is available to answer any questions on EEO matters.
To request assistance with the application process, please contact Micron’s Human Resources Department at 1-800-336-8918 (or 208-368-4748).
Milpitas || California (US-CA) || United States (US) || ACG (Advanced Controller Group) || Experienced || Regular || Engineering || #LI-DG1 ||