Global Energy Monitor is seeking an Operations Specialist/Bookkeeper to support operations on a technical level by assisting with day-to-day bookkeeping, financial procedures, website updates, IT needs, and more. The Operations Specialist will support GEM’s Operations Manager in ensuring that GEM’s internal systems are functioning properly and efficiently. Bookkeeping and finance-related tasks are the primary areas of responsibility, though the Operations Specialist/Bookkeeper will also take responsibility for regular website updates and a variety of other support tasks.
According to the Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC), we have less than a decade to make massive and unprecedented changes in the global economy to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. To meet that challenge, Global Energy Monitor is creating trackers and other tools to provide detailed information on energy facilities, sponsors, and financing.
About Global Energy Monitor
Global Energy Monitor (GEM) is a network of researchers developing information for the worldwide climate and clean energy movement. Since the organization’s founding in 2007, GEM’s research has become an essential tool for activists, journalists, policymakers, and scientists. GEM’s data and reports are used and cited by organizations ranging from Greenpeace to The Wall Street Journal. GEM’s information is used by Bloomberg Terminals, the International Energy Agency, the IPCC, Climate Analytics, Carbon Tracker Initiative, and hundreds of others.
Note: GEM does not have a central office; instead, GEM works with employees to create suitable home offices catered to the needs of their role. Remote staff need not be based in the United States.
Position Summary and Duties
- Upload data for US and international payroll
- Enter checking account and credit card transactions
- Provide support for grant financial reporting
- Run reports and conduct basic analysis, as needed
- Revenue and tracking
- Enter expected payments as new grants are received
- Track payments received and any past due on an ongoing basis
- Generate and send GEM invoices
- Maintain reports on spending and costs
- Reimbursements, purchases, and vendors
- Enter invoices and reimbursements in Bill payments platform
- Coordinate purchase process for staff equipment
- Assist with vendor sourcing and onboarding
- Process reimbursements
- Maintain list of GEM-owned equipment
- Save and label all credit card receipts and paid bills
- Website and technology support
- Coordinate regular website updates and maintenance
- Coordinate with program and communications staff on website changes
- Assist staff with email and work account setup
- Periodically assess staff technology and equipment needs
- Virtual office management
- Provide support for staff onboarding and offboarding
- Manage email groups
- Provide logistics support for staff retreat
- Administer and maintain shared drives, including quarterly cleaning
- Ensure completeness and consistency of all internal records
- Assist with documentation of administrative procedures and policies
- Miscellaneous tasks and projects based on time and interest, possibly including:
- Help with improving internal administrative systems on an ongoing basis
- Assist with compliance with local, state, federal, and international regulations
- Troubleshoot basic IT problems as necessary
- Assist with cybersecurity improvements and backup systems
Education & Experience
Applicants who tailor their resume and cover letter to these requirements will be prioritized.
The following experience and skills are required for this position:
- Experience with bookkeeping (2+ years preferred)
The following experience and skills are desired for this position:
- Understanding of core accounting concepts, e.g. cash vs. accrual accounting, credits and debits, restricted/unrestricted funds, reconciliation
- Experience with QuickBooks Online and/or nonprofit fund accounting software
- Experience with WordPress or other website publishing platforms
- Intermediate spreadsheet skills
- Comfort with technology and ability to learn new systems quickly
- Friendly and responsive approach to supporting staff
- Prior experience in nonprofits
- Excellent attention to detail
- Thorough and meticulous
- Works well as part of a team
- Works well with a global staff from diverse backgrounds
- Comfortable working in a fully remote office environment
Pay and Benefits
This is a full-time, 32- or 40-hour-per-week, work-from-home position. The salary range is $62,525 - $78,157 for locations in the United States. Salary and benefits differ for those based outside of the US and may be discussed on an individual basis.
Benefits include (US Based Employees):
- 100% paid health, vision, dental insurance for employee & contribution towards dependent coverage
- Long-term disability and worker’s compensation insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with 5% employer match
- 4 weeks paid vacation, plus 18 holidays, 10 sick leave days, and other leave
- Remote work stipend
- Home office set up & ergonomics reimbursement
- Paid 12-week sabbatical leave after five years
- Paid parental leave
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and this listing will remain open until filled. Applicants must provide a resume and cover letter.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Equal Employment: Global Energy Monitor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment determinations at GEM are based exclusively on the needs of the organization, specific job requirements, and a candidate’s individual qualifications. These determinations are made without regard to race, ethnicity, nationality, religion or belief, age, physical, mental, and/or sensory disability, sex, orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, medical history, or military service. GEM is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Accommodations: We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Demographic Information/Data: On the next page is a set of voluntary demographic questions. We consider the responses to these questions as "sensitive" information. We will treat any personal information provided in response to these questions as "sensitive" under applicable law in accordance with that applicable law. If you choose to fill them out, the responses will be used (in aggregate only) to help us identify areas for improvement in our process. Your responses, or your choice to not respond, will not be associated with your specific application and will not in any way be used in the hiring decision.
***Please be sure to add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.***