SEA LIFE Orlando, 8387 International Dr
Orlando, Florida, 32819
SEA LIFE Orlando. Where your career goes swimmingly!
Do you have a passion for marine biology and sharing the magic of marine life with others? Do you want to work in a job where you create memorable experiences all for the love of fun? Want to join a team that creates smiles and memories globally on a daily basis? Then you have the magic to be Team Merlin at SEA LIFE Orlando! We are looking for an experienced candidate with the right mix of animal and people management skills.
About The Role
The Curator at SEA LIFE Orlando is the head of the Displays team, overseeing animal care and welfare, as well as displays development and design for the aquarium. The Curator achieves high standards of display presentation and animal husbandry for a variety of salt and freshwater species. The Curator supervises the displays team, assisting with routine maintenance and animal husbandry issues. The Curator works closely with the General Manager and Merlin’s Global Conservation, Welfare and Engagement division to create engaging exhibits, maintain animal health and enhance guest experiences at SEA LIFE Orlando.
- Directs exhibit upkeep, animal husbandry practices and planning for more than 20 animal habitats
- Assists in the continual development and strategic planning of the displays areas in line with the long term goals of the company
- Play a key role in any displays related capital works from concept creation through to completion and continual operation and manages all husbandry and life support of aquarium systems
- Oversees daily care of animal exhibits including diet preparation, feeding and general care, and maintenance of aquatic exhibits in accordance with established protocols
- Ensure that correct levels of livestock and key species are maintained in all displays through proactive collection planning
- Participates in specimen transports, water quality testing, quarantine, diagnosis and treatment of fish disease
- Maintains accurate daily records for aquarium systems and exhibit specimens
- Supervises day-to-day activities of all aquarists and divers, including scheduling. Plans and facilitates professional development and training for aquarist staff
- Communicate and liaise with the Merlin Animal Welfare Division, veterinarians and Biological Services, as needed to ensure best operating practices and animal care.
- Ensures effective planning and implementation of routine maintenance of displays and life support systems
- Maintains strict codes of practice for the administration and storage of all medical treatments
- Ensure that accurate and up to date displays records are complete for all displays and livestock, including deliveries, collections, mortalities, feeding and associated matters.
- Ensure and maintain continually high levels of cleanliness of all the displays, quarantine and food preparation areas, plus associated plant and workshops.
- Ensures that the statutory regulations both state and federal, e.g., OSHA are maintained for displays areas
- Adheres to all state and federal standards for the State’s Zoo Licence as well as AZA standards
- Ensures that all licenses and regulations associated with livestock acquisition (i.e. State Game and Fish Dept., USFW), holding, display and transportation, are met and adhered to
- Ensure displays budgets are operated within monthly and yearly constraints.
- Assist the General Manager in the generation of the annual displays budgets and capital expenditures
- Initiates and continually updates the displays development plan for the site
- Carry out and oversee any specific research and development projects to improve animal husbandry and the onsite displays as directed by the General Manager and in conjunction with the Merlin Animal Welfare Division/Biological Services.
- Represent the site within the North American SEA LIFE Curator community in functions such as regional collection planning, and dive safety
- Motivates and trains the displays staff on the local site
- Undergraduate degree in Life Sciences
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of experience of aquatic animal care in a professional aquarium environment
- Minimum 3 to 4 years of managerial experience supervising teams and individuals, preferably in a professional aquarium environment
- Advanced open water SCUBA certification
- Proven knowledge of the maintenance and operation of large life support systems including, but not limited to, sand filters, canister filters, UV sterilizers, protein skimmers, and ozone generators
- Ability to obtain Rescue Diver Certification within 90 days of hire
- Aquarium dive program management skills and experience preferred
- Advanced knowledge and experience working with a wide variety of tropical and temperate marine and freshwater specimens including, but not limited to, sharks, rays, jellies, corals, seahorses, cephalopods, and turtle.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in the quarantine, diagnosis and treatment of fish disease.
- Strong water quality testing and record keeping skills
- Ability to obtain and hold a current First Aid and CPR certification
About The Benefits
In return you will find a competitive salary and benefits package (including a medical, vision, dental, life insurance and 401(k) matching plan offering), share program opportunities, and benefit from free entry to all of our Merlin attractions which also extend to family and friends. In addition, you can expect continued growth of joining an exciting, global organization.
SEA LIFE is the world’s biggest aquarium. From sharks to sea turtles, and jellyfish to seahorses, SEA LIFE Aquarium showcases over 10,000 sea creatures worldwide.
Merlin Entertainments, plc is a business built on fun. We are the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator. We operate over 100 attractions, eight hotels and three holiday villages in 22 countries across four continents and we run some of the best known names in global leisure. These include the likes of SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, the Dungeons, the Eye brand, and LEGOLAND. Whether you are serving delicious food, working in the office, maintaining the attractions, entertaining guest or operating rides, the objective is to provide a truly memorable experience and a great day out for all members of the family.