General Position Summary:
Provides lead role while working with clients, owners, and other design disciplines to produce coordinated drawings and specifications for pricing and construction. Designs mechanical systems that meet the specifications of the project and the owner and provides design/build construction documentation that delineates project scope.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage production of design documentation necessary for a complete set of Construction Documents
- Provide design calculations, energy modeling results, load calculations, equipment selections, and material specifications
- Produce documentation that complies with all applicable codes and standards.
- Coordinate project schedules with other Lead Engineers
- Maintain the Engineering Log to ensure design, pre-construction, and construction teams have current information
- Provide quality documentation through the use of 2D and 3D drawings, calculations, memos, letters, narratives, and specification to ensure that the design intent is fully documented and communicated to the project team
- Manage submittal and shop drawing review, RFI responses
- Ensure design changes are documented and issued to project management
- Perform regular on-site reviews and produce engineering construction reports
- Provide in-house engineering support for project executives, project managers, field staff, estimating, energy services, and special projects
- Attend regular design meetings with the project team and OAC meetings as necessary
- Regular attendance and promptness are considered part of each employee's essential job functions
Secondary Job Functions:
- Contribute to client development efforts through excellent customer service
Skills Required to Perform the Essential Duties of the Job:
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Professional and ethical.
- Properly size all aspects of HVAC, Plumbing, and Piping systems.
- Read and understand drawings provided by other disciplines including architectural, structural, civil and electrical. Problem solving/decision making - able to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to effectively multi-task with attention to detail.
- Flexibility to change gears and re-prioritize tasks under pressure and to similarly motivate staff to do the same.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Willing to work with other employees in a team.
- AutoCAD experience – ability to plot drawings and make minor revisions to existing drawings.
- Computer skills – advanced skills with spreadsheets, word processor programs, load calculation programs (such as Trace 700, Elite, HAP), energy modeling capabilities.
- Sustainability Skills – LEED project experience, sustainability best practices.
- Control System – knowledge of control systems and the ability to write sequences, create diagrams and points lists necessary to define control scope.
Oversee and mentor members of different project-specific work teams.
Education Requirements Needed to Perform the Essential Duties of the Job:
- Degree in mechanical engineering preferred.
- 15 years experience in HVAC, plumbing and piping systems design preferred with degree, 20 years without a degree.
Licensing or Other Special Certifications Required: Valid Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $115,000.00 to $135,000.00 /year
- Mechanical Engineering: 10 years (Preferred)
- 15 yrs with degree or 20 yrs without degree: 1 year (Preferred)
- HVAC/ Plumbing System Design: 10 years (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Gym memberships or discounts
- Flexible schedules
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules