The Des Moines Register is seeking a dynamic, creative multimedia coach to direct our team of photo/video journalists and lead the newsroom in all aspects of video.
The coach must coordinate audience-focused visual coverage that emphasizes live breaking news, watchdog enterprise and human interest content across our digital, social and print platforms. The coach must manage visuals from inception to publication, working with a variety of staffers in scheduling, assigning, producing and presenting compelling content online and on social platforms. Top candidates will have professional experience in shooting photographs, producing social-friendly video and understanding social media, as well as having knowledge about news-gathering issues involving ethics, privacy, libel, copyright, access and trespass.
The ideal candidate will challenge and inspire the visuals team and newsroom as a whole to press for creative, innovative approaches to telling stories on digital platforms. He or she will experiment with ways to drive audience through standalone videos and innovative, visual-focused content combining text, graphics, photos and video.
- Short- and long-term planning and assigning of photo and video coverage that encompasses both digital and print platforms.
- Analyzing metrics and developing best practices for growing audience with photos and video, including search and social approaches.
- Leading staff in meeting audience growth goals for video. Coaching photographers and reporters on video production and personally producing m short videos as needed.
- Editing still photos and related captions, following AP style. Handling occasional shoots, such as in-house portraits.
- Working with newsroom staffers to plan creative and compelling photo assignments.
- Coordinating with other staffers to plan special event and project coverage.
- Supervising, mentoring and coaching the photo/video team, determining equipment needs and maintaining the supplies budget.
- Experience with live video, drone journalism, 360-degree photos/videos and operating a Tricaster are pluses.