Founded in 1975, BR+A Consulting Engineers maintains a total staff of 350 employees located at our main office in Boston and branch offices in New York City, NY; Philadelphia, PA; McLean, VA (Washington, DC); Coral Gables, FL (Miami); Chicago, IL; St. Louis, MO; Tampa, FL and Charlotte, NC. BR+A provides state-of-the-art integrated and coordinated mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection consulting engineering, technology systems design, lighting design, and building commissioning services.
BR+A is seeking applicants for a Mechanical Engineer in our McLean, VA office. The candidate would be strongly motivated, well organized, and show professional initiative. The applicant should be able to take ownership of assignments and perform well both independently and as part of the project team.
- Experience in designing Healthcare, Commercial, Higher Education or Laboratory projects;
- Proficient in AutoCAD and Revit;
- Perform advanced heating and cooling load calculations with Trace or HAP ;
- Develop sections and elevations of complex ductwork and piping areas;
- Develop equipment room sizes during SD and DD phases;
- Edit specifications to reflect the project requirements;
- Develop air and water flows;
- Understand fan and pump curves to properly select equipment for application;
- Use the psychrometric chart properly for any HVAC system;
- Meet with vendors to determine specification requirements for application;
- Performs field verification and take-offs of existing systems for renovation projects;
- Coordinates with other disciplines (mepfp, arch, struct, etc) for all HVAC details;
- Respond to RFI’s for the project, and accurately review submittals;
- Understand the work planning and manage the design process to the available hours in the work plan;
- Understand the proper scope of SD, DD, CD level documents, and deliver appropriate documentation;
- Modify sequences of operations for AHU’s, CHW and HW systems;
- Understand both constant and variable flow systems, and properly applies equipment;
- Meet with contractors during the bid phase to review the design details;
- Project Management with team communication;
- Provide Construction Site Observation;
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering;
- EIT (Engineer in Training) or PE License Preferred;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
We offer excellent compensation and a competitive benefits package, including Medical/Dental coverage and 401K, to all of our full-time employees.
BR+A is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, gender, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. The candidate must pass a drug test.
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and cover letter.
Job Type: Full-time