The Midland Business Alliance (MBA) represents more than 3,000 businesses as Midland’s business hub, leading the business community with a unified voice and serving a vibrant community in which people, industry and businesses prosper. The mission of the MBA is to support the attraction, development and growth of businesses throughout Midland by providing an integrated portfolio of tools and resources. Initially formed in 2016, the MBA has aligned and integrated its operations to better serve the business community.
The President and Chief Executive Officer will lead the MBA and provide business leadership and economic development growth throughout the Midland community. The MBA has total assets of $10.8 million had a 2017 annual operating budget of $5.3 million.
The MBA is a 501(c)(4) organization, with the following divisions:
Midland Area Chamber of Commerce, CBM Services Inc., Midland Tomorrow, Mitcon.
The President and CEO of the Midland Business Alliance is responsible for leading the economic and community development efforts in Midland, Michigan. The President and CEO will have a major role in creating, directing and influencing policy development and all economic and community development functions. He or she is involved in high-level interaction with executives of companies of all sizes, university leaders, government officials, the philanthropic community, and other leaders and officials. Other important interactions include executives and employees, representatives of other public and private sector partnership organizations, members of the media and representatives of target and prospect organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Working with the Board of Directors, implement a well-defined, measurable, outcome-based strategic plan for the major initiatives of the Midland Business Alliance.
- Serve as a key executive aggressively promoting economic growth in Midland County, Michigan by attracting, retaining and expanding small, medium and large businesses.
- Provide leadership to MBA and stewardship to the financial partners and maintain strong ongoing investor relations. Responsibly manage and implement a well-defined, measurable and outcome-based capital plan and related fiscal matters to grow the revenue base through increased investment, expanded and/or improved revenue opportunities and other sources.
- Lead in the continuation of building partnerships and programs with local, regional and state partners.
- Assure integration and leadership among MBA’s divisions and those of other partners, businesses and related organizations within the community and the region.
- Maintain and enhance services and programs offered, including networking, advocacy, small business and diversity programs, trade shows and related community and business focused events.
- Develop meaningful relationships and communication with business owners/leaders in Midland County.
- Develop meaningful relationships and communication with elected officials to provide information and advocacy on behalf of the MBA business community. Serve as the key leader in coordinating regional legislative priorities with other leaders in the region.
- Administer the development and implementation of annual activities and budgets and monitor the procedures and reports necessary for sound management.
- Advise the Board of Directors of economic and community development issues that affect the area. Identify and address threats and opportunities, and develop a long-term perspective to help MBA businesses anticipate and address longer term trends.
- Evaluate, organize and develop the staff to support the organizational goals and operations.
- Oversee an efficient office operation and present an attractive “front door” for the MBA business community and visitors.
- Work with the Board to identify, recruit and develop volunteer leadership to assure the continuity and success of the organization.
- Continually evaluate MBA’s programs and services to maintain their effectiveness and efficiency; submit recommendations for improving programs and develop innovative new programs in keeping with contemporary needs, with equal focus on quality and value to members, investors and the community at large, along with sound fiscal benefit to the overall organization.
- Oversee activities related to ensuring membership satisfaction and retention.
- Represent MBA at official functions on the local, regional, state, and, as required, the national and international level.
- Analyze reports and periodicals and contact officials and agencies to keep abreast of area facilities and services, commercial and industrial development, trends and methods of implementing business/community development.
- Serve as the official spokesperson for MBA with the media and as primary liaison with elected and appointed governmental officials, major trade and professional organizations and other constituencies. Serve as the chief spokesperson to communicate positions on community, public and political issues.
- Assure that daily activities of the organization work smoothly to serve the MBA business community the community as a whole.
- Fulfill any special assignments or duties as directed by the Board of Directors.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Proven track record of success within an effective comparably-sized economic development organization, chamber of commerce, or related significant business association organization.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree and 15 or more years of successful senior leadership experience in an organization of similar size and scope, either for-profit or not-for-profit. An advanced degree in business law, public administration or related field is desirable.
- Experience developing and executing strategic and capital plans for a multi-faceted organization.
- History of creating programs and initiatives that focuses on increasing economic vitality and quality of life.
- Knowledge of business start-ups, entrepreneurship and sources of capital.
- Successful experience forging productive alliances across private, public and governmental sectors and leading public/private partnerships.
- Has actively promoted an organization; track record of membership retention, increased value and appropriate expansion. Experience promoting enhancements and expansion of technology including technology transfer and knowledge-based job creation.
- Experience effectively developing and managing programs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial affairs of an organization and communicate effectively with investors.
- Experience in marketing and selling a community and region.
- Understanding of workforce training and development issues and implementing programs in collaboration with educational partners to address needs.
- Strong public speaking abilities. Ability to effectively articulate goals, objectives and policy positions of MBA to the media and the community.
- Excellent listener; outstanding written and oral communication skills; effective presentation skills to multiple audiences.
- Experience in international business dealings highly desirable.
- Experience bringing groups and individuals together around complex issues.
- Experience with governance issues and Board of Director interactions.
- Ability and demonstrated success working with groups to develop strategies to attract industry.
- Familiarity of the Region.
LEADERSHIP AND PERSONAL SKILLS
Strategic visionary thinker; Communicator; Relationship building; Networker; Inclusion; Drive for results; Problem Solver; Negotiator.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $150,000.00 /year
- successful senior leadership: 10 years (Required)