The role of Product Manufacturing Introduction (PMI) is to bring new products into the factory/manufacturing areas and facilitate a nonevent launch. This position will be based at Tesla’s Gigafactory 1, in Sparks, NV. We hire interns into several areas of PMI, listed below:
- Vehicle Programs PMI
- Energy Programs PMI
PMI Job Duties
- Lead a “Plan for Every Part” project for a critical PMI programs to prepare all internal logistics associated with a major project launch. Intern will coordinate the initial tasks involving various stakeholders including supply chain, manufacturing process control, conveyance, packaging and warehouse in order to prepare for a successful production launch
- Product Lifecycle Management (PLM): Quickly learn our PLM system and resolve issues by interfacing with design engineers and manufacturing personnel
- Support Pilot Builds and Product Launches: Work with production associates, repair technicians, and engineering leaders on the assembly line to help guide direction and priorities regarding pilot build requirements and production deviations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are critical to success. Candidate must be able to collaborate cohesively with co-workers, while demonstrating initiative and capability to work independently. Strong motivation to support the company mission is necessary to succeed.
- Support adhoc requests by the Program Manager as needed in order to close gaps and progress deliverables
- Support the coordination and execution of trials & builds for running & coordinated changes, & development & validation builds for program launches. Status analysis & reporting for MBOM release, Manufacturing Readiness and issues management pertaining to securing safe launches for Seating programs
- Currently studying engineering (all disciplines considered, Mechanical and/or Industrial preferred).
- Basic understanding of production line layout, flow, and modeling. Ability to learn and understand the basic variety of manufacturing models and strategies is instrumental in guiding the development of new manufacturing lines/processes/products.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills are required
- Candidate must be able to collaborate cohesively with co-workers, while demonstrating initiative and capability to work independently.
- Long-term interest in technical project management as a career
- Experience in operations management, Design & execution of industrial trials, statistics (Design of Experiments)
- Exposure to mass production operations - preferably supporting execution of trials &/or process changes
- Excel skills
- Prior leadership experience (through internships, clubs on campus etc)
- Some projects may require:
o Skills in Microsoft, MRP software, CATIA, GD&T, Quality Assurance, Industrial Engineering, Knowledge of Body Structural components
o Experience with DFM, PFMEA, RCA, Problem solving
o Excel macros, Java, Python, SQL for data analytics
o SQL, Excel, Minitab, JMP (any of these or all)
o Data Manipulation or Statistics understanding
o Ability to work 6+ months
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program