New York Institute of Technology (NYIT), Division of Campus Dining is seeking a Cook to work at our Old Westbury campus.
Full Time and Part Time position available!
Cook Responsibilities include:
Food and Menu Preparation:
- Adhere to a daily work plan provided by Area Supervisor including tasks and timelines
- Prepare and cook food according to daily meal plan in short order and a la carte fashion in accordance to recipes and procedures set forth by Executive Chef
- Develop daily food preparation and production lists based on daily usage and menus planned for events
- Coordinate with supervisor and other management team members to assist in making adjustments in quantity and timing of meals based upon changes in group size
- Work together with supervisor and co-workers to coordinate meal preparation and presentation from kitchen to floor (including layout of buffets and cooking stations); ensure quality and quantity control
- Operate and oversee use of appliances including, but not limited to: slicers, ovens, broilers, Frialator, dish washing machinery, and other small kitchen appliances
- Assist supervisor by tracking inventory levels
- Notify supervisor if orders for food need to be placed and work with co-workers and supervisor in requisitioning foods, grab and go from commissary, or purchasing agents
- Assist in receiving orders and quickly storing to proper areas by placing the perishables away first so that they do not spoil
- Take and document time and temperature logs consistently throughout the day
- Prepare and serve foods that require only a short preparation time, including: grilling and garnishing hamburgers; preparing sandwiches; frying eggs; and cooking french fries, often working on several orders at the same time
Maintenance and Cleaning:
- Maintain standards of sanitation, kitchen hygiene, and food service techniques and safety
- Contact supervisor if maintenance needs to be done or service is needed on any equipment
- Clean and organize of all areas including work stations, refrigerators, walk-ins, storage rooms, and general employee areas * Adhere to weekly schedule set forth by Area Supervisor
- Other duties as assigned
- Educational Requirements: High school or Equivalent), plus one to two years’ of experience in a commercial kitchen setting, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired
- Must have or be working toward Serve-Safe Certification, and follow the HACCP policies and procedures
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to perform basic mathematics including: adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND STRESS.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand for extended periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
NYIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Please apply online @: https://careers-nyit.icims.com/jobs
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time