POSITION TITLE: Asst. Merch Mgr. (Product Developer)
REPORTS TO: Merchandise Mgr.
EXEMPT OR NON-EXEMPT: Exempt
PERCENTAGE OF FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT: 100%
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to lift up to 45 pounds and work seated for 4-6 hours per day. Must be able to travel and occasionally work in an active outdoor or warehouse environment.
This position researches, develops appropriately priced and qualified products by identifying market needs for CMA distribution channels. These individual conducts trend and market research insuring products being developed are competitive or surpass our market competition in aesthetics, quality and sales performance. In coordination with VP of Brand Merchandising, develops and designs graphics and products seasonally based on need. Helps to manage SKU plans, planograms, line sheets, catalogs, and sales sheets. Maintains development aspects of vendor relations and communications with product standards, transfer of accurate creative production and specifications and ensures on time development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Trend and Market Analysis
- Assist Merchandise Mgr. in identifying product trends, fashion and direction in market place that can be applied to CMA’s brand strategies.
- Shop and research competitive brands, products and retail environments for trend, quality and pricing analysis.
- Assist in identifying marketing and promotional products and vendors that can be used for CMA’s retail, marketing, supplies and operational programs such as Education, Staff apparel and other organization product needs.
- Be aware of the local and regional market and business environments including local activities, market trends, and vendors that can be applied to CMA’s product mix.
- Research and attend applicable trade shows and conferences appropriate to CMA’s brand, product development and offering.
Product Development, Design and Production
- Assist Merch Mgr. in the development of the seasonal Product Calendar, SKU plan and Planograms.
- Responsible for the development of products based on the direction of VP of Brand Merchandise, Development Procedures, Merchandise Development Calendar, SKU plan and target margins.
- Utilizing samples or original designs creates a development plan for approved products.
- Interfaces with Designers and Artists coordinating communication and direction and maintaining deadlines and work load.
- In coordination with VP of Brand Merch designs graphics and products following the SKU plan.
- Creates or oversees the creation of production specifications outlining accurate details of products content, make, construction and production details.
- Through the Product Development Process and sample approval process establishes acceptable quality standards which legally ensure the protection of CMA’s procurement.
SKU, Calendar and Margin Management
- Working with VP of Brand Merchandising and Buyer creates, manages, maintains and publishes updates to the seasonal and annual SKU plan.
- Working with the VP of Brand Merchandising develops and publishes the annual Merchandising Calendar.
- Creates and maintains item cost sheets and regularly monitors margin for irregularities and consistency to the Merch plan.
- Provides final approved cost sheets to Buyer and Accounting.
- BA in related fields of Merchandising and or Design.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in Product Development or Merchandising.
- Exceptional Communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and deal with stress in a fast-paced environment.
- Solution oriented and problem-solving personality.
- Must be proficient and have a strong knowledge/capability in Microsoft Excel.
- Must be proficient design software products like Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Monday-Friday with occasional weekends and extended hours expected as reasonably needed. Some travel required including weekends.
The Clearwater Marine Aquarium reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $36,000.00 to $40,000.00 /year
- Product Development: 4 years
- Merchandising: 4 years