Requisition ID: BIO005254
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Department of Infectious Disease and Vaccines Research of our research division is seeking a highly motivated scientific researcher in the field of molecular virology. The candidate will join at the rank of Senior Scientist and work in a multi-disciplinary team for discovery and development of novel antiviral drugs and vaccines against important human pathogens.
The successful candidate will:
- Work closely with the scientific leadership to design and conduct experiments for drug and vaccine discovery, including developing critical reagents and assays, constructing recombinant viruses that could be used as vaccine candidates, testing agents, or tools for discovery programs, and providing support to drug and vaccine candidate development
- Possess a strong background in cell biology and molecular virology techniques, including but not limited to cell culture, in vitro virus infectivity assays, qPCR, cell imaging, molecular cloning, recombinant virus generation and characterization, and animal models for virus pathogenesis. Experience with RNA viruses is preferred.
- Work well within a collaborative team environment with an emphasis on communication, data analysis and scientific presentation.
Education Minimum Requirement:
PhD or equivalent in biology, biochemistry, virology, bacteriology or related discipline
Required Experience and Skills:
- PhD or equivalent in biology or related discipline with a minimum of 2 years of Post Doc experience.
- Ability to understand and implement applicable regulations regarding the use of pathogens (e.g. virus, bacteria, fungi), human cell and tissue use, laboratory safety, health physics and chemical hazards in research.
- Strong collaborative skills
- Skill in troubleshooting experimental design, assay development and data analysis
- Track record of scientific publication and writing
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in the design, development and/or execution of in vitro assays for anti-infective drug and vaccine development programs with an emphasis on human viral pathogens
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.