Sample Benefit Specialist Job Description
As an employer, writing a clear job description that expresses what you are looking for in a candidate is a crucial task. The following benefit specialist job description sample can be used and modified to fit your hiring needs. This sample should help you get started on writing a good job description and hire the right candidate for the job.
We are a leading provider of health and dental insurance solutions to the healthcare industry. Our mission is to provide our clients with an exceptional experience that exceeds their expectations by offering comprehensive, affordable medical care. As part or full time employees at A & D, you will be offered competitive compensation packages including paid time off, flexible spending accounts, employee discounts and more! At A&D we believe you can be successful.
The benefit specialist is responsible for assisting the company in providing benefits to its employees and their families. This includes: managing employee compensation, benefit eligibility, medical insurance, retirement savings plans, health care reimbursements, life insurance, disability coverage and other related services. In addition, this position will be responsible for developing and maintaining effective working relationships with all levels of management including but not limited by supervisory staff, managers, vendors and clients. As an integral part within our team, you'll work closely with your colleagues to achieve a positive impact through continuous improvement initiatives that are consistent with business goals.
Detailed job duties include:
- Provides support to the benefit manager and other benefits team members.
- Provides information on employee health, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k) plan options and retirement savings plans.
- Provides training for employees in their area of expertise (eg: medical/dental/life insurance), including eligibility requirements, premiums and benefit packages.
- Analyzes all aspects of an individual's account with respect to his/her employer-provider relationship as well as any other related areas within that organization or department.
- Reviews company policies and procedures regarding employment opportunities.
- Bachelor's degree in business, economics or related field
- MBA is preferred but not required
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a benefit specialist with an emphasis on health insurance and/or employee benefits preferred
- Experience working directly with employees at the company
- Strong communication skills including presentation skills to both internal and external customers
- Ability to multitask
- Proven ability to work independently while maintaining confidentiality
- Must be detail oriented
- Able to learn quickly and effectively within tight deadline constraints
- Demonstrates strong organizational abilities that allow team members to focus their efforts towards meeting goals
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid time off (PTO)
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match for employees who are eligible to participate in the company's retirement plan
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Health saving account (HSA) program that includes medical/dental insurance options including dental, vision, short-term disability, life and long term disability