Sample Chief Medical Officer Job Description
A job description helps potential applicants identify relevant positions that would be a good fit for their skill set. Use this template to get started.
Looking for a job? Search jobs.
Example job summary
A successful job summary will provide applicants with a strong introduction to your company and the role. Use positive and active language that sums up the advertised role and your company. Include an exact location, or mention if the location is remote.
Example Chief Medical Officer job summary
Our hospital is seeking a Chief Medical Officer to oversee our medical staff and ensure our health center is providing a high standard of care. You will be responsible for leading and motivating a medical team, developing patient care protocols, and analyzing current practices with the goal of spotting areas for improvement. You will report to the President of the hospital and work closely with the Chief of Medical Staff. You will also be responsible for helping to develop business strategies that will set our health center apart from others. The ideal candidate is a Board Certified Physician with at least 5 years of clinical experience and an MBA.
Chief Medical Officer responsibilities
This section should convey the most important duties for the role. Highlight any responsibilities that may be unique to the role or particularly interesting for potential applicants. It’s also beneficial to describe how the role fits into the larger organization.
Example Chief Medical Officer responsibilities
- Work with hospital staff and leadership to ensure that the facility is delivering a high quality of care
- Collaborate with hospital leadership to create plans and strategies for business growth and development
- Develop and implement performance quality control protocols and evaluate medical staff to ensure they are meeting hospital standards
- Act as a liaison between the medical staff and the hospital Board of Directors
- officer leadership to medical staff by coaching, mentoring, and motivating them to provide excellent care
- Work to develop efficient patient care protocols and oversee their implementation
Chief Medical Officer requirements
This section should list the essential qualities of an ideal candidate. Include previous work experience, education or achievements that would be beneficial. And list any preferred hard and soft skills.
Example Chief Medical Officer requirements
- M.D. Doctor of Medicine
- MBA or advanced business degree strongly preferred
- 5+ years experience as a practicing physician
- Prior experience in an administrative role
- Board Certified Physician
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills and a collaborative attitude