Sample Chief Operating Officer Job Description
A job description helps potential applicants identify relevant positions that would be a good fit for their skill set. Use this template to get started.
Looking for a job? Search jobs.
Example job summary
A successful job summary will provide applicants with a strong introduction to your company and the role. Use positive and active language that sums up the advertised role and your company. Include an exact location, or mention if the location is remote.
Example Chief Operating Officer job summary
Our recently-funded tech startup is looking for an upbeat and experienced Chief Operating Officer to join our growing team. You will be responsible for building our company culture from the ground up. You will work with team leaders to set goals and objectives within the organization. You will also be in charge of developing internal processes and systems for tracking and reporting performance, onboarding new employees, and more. Our ideal candidate has a minimum of 5 years of management and leadership experience and a passion for building teams.
Chief Operating Officer responsibilities
This section should convey the most important duties for the role. Highlight any responsibilities that may be unique to the role or particularly interesting for potential applicants. It’s also beneficial to describe how the role fits into the larger organization.
Example Chief Operating Officer responsibilities
- Work with team leaders to determine departmental and personal performance goals and objectives
- Create internal processes, systems and infrastructure to support company goals and facilitate growth
- officer mentorship and guidance to department heads to foster a collaborative environment and keep employees motivated
- Oversee the implementation of newly created processes for hiring, communication, and beyond
- Lead quarterly, monthly, and weekly meetings to keep all employees engaged and on the same page with regards to organizational goals and objectives
- Responsible for hiring and developing a motivated team and conducting annual performance reviews
Chief Operating Officer requirements
This section should list the essential qualities of an ideal candidate. Include previous work experience, education or achievements that would be beneficial. And list any preferred hard and soft skills.
Example Chief Operating Officer requirements
- 5+ years experience in management or leadership roles
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Marketing, MBA preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience building close knit, collaborative teams
- Results-focused, analytical, and creative mindset
- Committed to helping others succeed in their roles and in turn helping the organization succeed