Sample Chief Technology Officer Job Description
A job description helps potential applicants identify relevant positions that would be a good fit for their skill set. Use this template to get started.
Looking for a job? Search jobs.
Example job summary
A successful job summary will provide applicants with a strong introduction to your company and the role. Use positive and active language that sums up the advertised role and your company. Include an exact location, or mention if the location is remote.
Example Chief Technology Officer job summary
A growing ecommerce startup has an immediate opening for an experienced and visionary chief technology officer. The CTO will oversee all technical aspects of the business while working alongside the executive team to ensure technical projects are aligned with overall business goals. We are seeking a candidate with proven leadership experience, proficient technical aptitude and a collaborative personality. You will be overseeing the development of multiple projects at once and must have strong time management skills. A bachelor’s degree in computer science is required, and an MBA is strongly preferred.
Chief Technology Officer responsibilities
This section should convey the most important duties for the role. Highlight any responsibilities that may be unique to the role or particularly interesting for potential applicants. It’s also beneficial to describe how the role fits into the larger organization.
Example Chief Technology Officer responsibilities
- Ensure technical aspects of the business are aligned with business goals and objectives
- Work with technology teams and upper management to develop systems and processes that improve efficiency for both customers and employees behind the scenes
- Create quality assurance and testing processes to ensure systems are working properly
- Build a robust team capable of supporting all of the company’s technological needs
- Develop and build infrastructure systems to support business growth
- Stay up to date on technological trends and look for ways to help the organization stand out
Chief Technology Officer requirements
This section should list the essential qualities of an ideal candidate. Include previous work experience, education or achievements that would be beneficial. And list any preferred hard and soft skills.
Example Chief Technology Officer requirements
- Minimum of 5 years in technical leadership roles, ideally as a CTO
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- MBA strongly preferred but not required
- Superior communication and leadership skills
- Analytical thinker and ability to develop creative solutions to problems
- Knowledge of project management and ticketing systems