Sample Civil Engineer Job Description
A job description helps potential applicants identify relevant positions that would be a good fit for their skill set. Use this template to get started.
Looking for a job? Search jobs.
Example job summary
A successful job summary will provide applicants with a strong introduction to your company and the role. Use positive and active language that sums up the advertised role and your company. Include an exact location, or mention if the location is remote.
Example Civil Engineer job summary
Established construction company has an immediate opening for a civil engineer. We are seeking an experienced, collaborative candidate who is excited about a long term role with our company. The successful candidate will work with the Senior Engineer to conduct site studies and surveys, draw up detailed project plans, and oversee project execution. You will frequently be working on multiple projects at once, so excellent time management and organizational skills are essential. Ideally you hold a Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering and have 3 or more years of experience in a similar role, though we are happy to train the right candidate.
Civil Engineer responsibilities
This section should convey the most important duties for the role. Highlight any responsibilities that may be unique to the role or particularly interesting for potential applicants. It’s also beneficial to describe how the role fits into the larger organization.
Example Civil Engineer responsibilities
- Use computer design software to create project renderings
- Conduct site studies to ensure the project design is feasible for the location
- Make sure projects are carried out in accordance with proper legal codes
- Work with team members to address and resolve potential logistical challenges associated with a project
- Draw up cost estimates and budget proposals for each project
- Supervise site surveying, geological studies, and more before authorizing construction to begin
Civil Engineer requirements
This section should list the essential qualities of an ideal candidate. Include previous work experience, education or achievements that would be beneficial. And list any preferred hard and soft skills.
Example Civil Engineer requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a civil engineering role
- Ability to balance multiple projects at the same time without missing deadlines
- Demonstrate a collaborative attitude and excellent communication skills
- Possess strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Knowledge of the AutoCAD program is an asset