Sample Computer Operator Job Description
A job description helps potential applicants identify relevant positions that would be a good fit for their skill set. Use this template to get started.
Looking for a job? Search jobs.
Example job summary
A successful job summary will provide applicants with a strong introduction to your company and the role. Use positive and active language that sums up the advertised role and your company. Include an exact location, or mention if the location is remote.
Example Computer Operator job summary
Our company is seeking a computer operator to support our computer systems. The successful candidate will be responsible for running system reports, performing updates, and troubleshooting problems and error codes that arise. This role requires someone with excellent attention to detail and the ability to prioritize tasks by urgency. Our ideal candidate has a strong understanding of computer and technical terminology, excellent communication skills and the ability to closely follow instructions. Previous experience as a computer operator is an asset but not required.
Computer Operator responsibilities
This section should convey the most important duties for the role. Highlight any responsibilities that may be unique to the role or particularly interesting for potential applicants. It’s also beneficial to describe how the role fits into the larger organization.
Example Computer Operator responsibilities
- Monitor mainframe control console for data processing
- Observe networks, computer hardware, and components to ensure everything is working properly
- Set up and run system reports, spot errors and irregularities and report them to the appropriate person
- Install software updates and bug fixes when necessary
- Ensure local area networks are in good working order and repair them when necessary
- Perform server maintenance as needed
Computer Operator requirements
This section should list the essential qualities of an ideal candidate. Include previous work experience, education or achievements that would be beneficial. And list any preferred hard and soft skills.
Example Computer Operator requirements
- Thorough knowledge of computer systems, computing terminology and techniques for processing data
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Ability to follow instructions and work orders accurately
- Skilled at interpreting technical information
- Knowledge of basic computer programming and ability to perform updates or troubleshoot when needed
- Strong customer service skills are an asset