Job Profile - Laboratory Operations Manager
Job Location - Onsite (Springfield, VA, US )
No Sponsorship (only US Citizen or GC)
You must submit a copy of the MT or MLS certification along with the resume. Must have MT/MLS certification from ASCP or AMT. Must have 4 years of lab experience Must have 3 years of leadership/management/supervisor experience. Must have a Bachelor's degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science, chemical, physical or biological science from an accredited institution. These are non-negotiable basic requirements to even interview.
NOTE - 8a-4:30p Monday to Friday with weekend and holiday rotation as needed.
Job Type - Full Time
Salary: USD $100,000 – $118,000 / yr
Compensation - 10% sign on bonus--So that is like $11,000 sign on that they get after 30 days. We also will assist in relocation
Relocation - Yes , Nationwide
Job description -
Job Summary: Plan, manage, organize and coordinate Laboratory services. Subject matter expert and the technical resource for the region in designated specialized area. Responsible for the design and oversight of highly reliable laboratory operations including accountabilities for quality of care, member experience, affordability, standard work and employee experience and competence.
- Exceptional Care and Service. Lead and manage technical, clinical, and operational aspects of the laboratory and pathology services. Monitor test results, equipment, and laboratory information systems. Perform, assist and support functions within laboratory as needed. Promote an organizational culture of safety and ensure appropriate patient safety. Design/evaluate processes to ensure high reliable standard laboratory services across continuum of care. Build strong performance-based, collaborative relationships with local and regional leadership fostered by frequent communication and interaction to identify and resolve problems/issues and improve delivery of laboratory services. Maintain a productive partnership with pathologists and laboratory staff. Represent the laboratory in Medical Operations Building and Regional facilities functions and committees. Participate in on call responsibility to include, not limited to, Lab Manager and/or Manager of the Day programs. Develop, implement, and monitor laboratory policies and procedures. Oversee regulatory and accreditation requirements to ensure departmental technical, quality, and administrative activities are compliant with all regulatory requirements including, but not limited to CAP, COLA, OSHA and CMS. Establish, implement, and maintain service standards to meet member and internal client expectations. Implements and monitors new service offerings to meet changing business needs.
- Employee Experience. Manages departmental human resources. Ensures on-going staff development. Develops and presents in-service programs to medical center and regional staff. Designs and implements the laboratory safety program, including hazardous waste management, chemical hygiene plan, and injury prevention program. Hire,develop and retain competent and professional staff. Evaluate performance, recognize achievements and, when necessary, initiate corrective action in accordance with Kaiser policy and state and federal law. Provide and oversee training and competency as well as teaching, promoting and modeling effective communication for staff. Ensure employee experience activities incorporate all applicable KP policies, regulations and accreditation standards. Ensures technical and support staff provide the highest quality of care and comply with CLIA, CAP, COLA, Joint Commission, AABB, NCQA, federal, state, and local requirements. Accountable to deliver an environment and culture of employee safety.
- Grow Sustainably. Administer staffing, materials and capital equipment budget for the assigned laboratories. Perform financial planning; review budget preparation and justification of labor and non-labor expenditures. Maintain an ongoing process to identify and evaluate cost restructuring activities that achieve gainful results for the laboratory and organization. Ensures compliance with clinical practice standards, staffing, payroll, budgets, fiscal management, and quality improvement activities. Participates in the development of and implements and monitors strategic plans/initiatives that are aligned with organizational strategy and operating plans, improves Member and Employee Experience, and reduces the overall cost of medical care. Creates staff alignment on regional and national strategies, goals, and priorities. Leads overall operations of laboratory services and all employees engaged in providing those services. Collaborates with inter/intra-regional clinical lab facilities to ensure an integrated laboratory delivery system. Leads and manages complex and diverse projects that have region-wide impact. Provides technical and business analysis using quantitative, scientific and economic methods.Participates in feasibility assessment and business case justification(s).
- Upholds and models Kaiser Permanentes Policies and Procedures and Principles of Responsibilities. Responsible for and monitors labs performance on key indicators to include affordability, quality and service. Completes 24 CEUs (12 technical and 12 leadership) per year. Maintains current information and knowledge of all applicable KP policies, local, and state and federal laws and regulations. Performs other related duties as directed and assigned.
- Bachelors degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science, chemical, physical or biological science from an accredited institution.
- Proper documentation for applicable degree is required (i.e. copies of diplomas, transcripts, and/or U.S Equivalency Degree Report if needed). Major must be clearly stated on the document.
- If diploma does not indicate the major, an additional document that states major is required.
- Degree must include 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology OR 6 hours chemistry and 6 hours of biology and 12 hours of chemistry, biology or medical laboratory technology in any combination AND completion of a clinical laboratory training program approved or accredited by an organization approve by HHS and at least three (3) months documented laboratory training in each specialty the individual will supervise.
- Masters degree in clinical laboratory science, chemical, physical, biological, business administration, health care administration, public health, or related field from an accredited institution.
- Minimum four (4) years experience in high complexity testing.
- Minimum three (3) years of leadership experience in a clinical laboratory setting.
- Behavioral interviewing experience.
- Experience in Labor/Management Partnership environment.
License, Certification, Registration
- Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certificate within 12 months of hire
- Thorough knowledge of regulatory (state and federal) agency requirements and professional practice standards to include CLIA, COLA, CAP, NCQA, AABB, local, state and federal regulations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the function of a medical laboratory.
- Thorough knowledge of principles of supervision, management, personnel management, financial analysis and budgeting.
- Experience in financial management, program development, quality improvement and project management.
- Demonstrates customer-focused service skills , supervisory skills , verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to think globally and provide line of sight from regional strategy to front-line staff.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills are required in building programs to support and maintain medical staff, administrative and community relationships.
- Working knowledge of clinical computer systems, PC computer skills, and Microsoft Office tools.
- Thorough knowledge of clinical laboratory operations.
- For medical office laboratories, MT(ASCP), MLS(ASCP), and/or MT(AMT).
- For Regional Laboratory, MT(ASCP) or MLS(ASCP) for the core laboratory and HT(ASCP), HTL(ASCP), PA(ASCP) and/or CT(ASCP) for the pathology laboratory.
- For Regional Laboratory the following certifications are also acceptable: H(ASCP), and/or SH(ASCP) for Hematology; C(ASCP), and/or SC(ASCP) for Chemistry; M(ASCP) and/or SM(ASCP) for Microbiology; B(ASCP) and/or SBB(ASCP) for blood bank/transfusion services.
What are the 3-4 non-negotiable requirements of this position?
1. Must have a MT or MLS with ASCP or AMT certification--This is a medical technologist or medical laboratory scientist certification Must have generalist experience CAN NOT accept any specialized certifications.
2. Minimum four (4) years of experience in high complexity testing.
3. Minimum three (3) years of leadership experience in a clinical laboratory setting. Must have leadership within a Lab specifically
4. Bachelor's degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science, chemical, physical or biological science
What are the nice-to-have skills?
- They must show on the resume that they have at least 3 years of leadership experience, they also need to state that they have a MT or MLS certification on the resume.
- They also need to have generalist experience.
- Please make sure they spell out that out on their resume.
Is there additional variable compensation?
10% sign on bonus--So that is like $11,000 sign on that they get after 30 days. We also will assist in relocation
There is a possibility for sponsorship.
There is equity in this position.
Is relocation available?
Is this a new position, or a backfill?
This position has direct reports.
Work hours are flexible.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $118,000.00 per year
Work Location: In person