1. Anticipates, identifies and mitigates safety and health risks, hazards and processes that have the potential of causing injury or property damage.
2. Ensures that equipment, including specifications and drawings, meet adequate safety and health standards. Reviews specifications and drawings for new equipment for compliance with safety and health standards and codes.
3. Reviews design specifications for new vehicles for compliance with applicable safety standards. Participates in inspections of new vehicles for compliance with those standards and provides justification for recommendations.
4. Evaluates accident data to determine new vehicle and equipment design or modification requirements to improve vehicle and equipment safety in postal operations.
5. Oversees and reviews internally and externally generated technical articles on safety and health. Determines the need for and recommends modifications and enhancements to safety and health standards, procedures, and codes.
6. Provides engineering input and technical assistance and policy interpretation to Headquarters and field employees related to environmental safety factors in facilities and equipment.
7. Briefs internal and external stakeholders on programs, problems, and progress related to safety engineering issues in the Postal Service.
8. Oversees the maintenance of records of safety changes and modifications to equipment and takes the lead in decisions regarding modifications for safety reasons.
9. Provides recommendations for process improvement efforts to control or eliminate health hazards through substitution of materials, new operational procedures, or engineering controls.
10. May oversee and coordinate the activities of employees assigned on a project or task force basis to include making assignments, monitoring progress, evaluating performance, and providing continuing oversight and guidance to unit team members.
1. Knowledge of the theoretical and applied physical and safety engineering sciences related to technical problems of material handling systems and to the man-machine interface with high-speed electronically controlled equipment and systems.
2. Ability to oversee the test and evaluation of equipment and systems to ensure conformity with accepted safety programs, practices, and specifications.
3. Ability to oversee the implementation of safety programs, policies, and procedures, including monitoring compliance, and implementing activities to improve safety awareness.
4. Ability to communicate orally and in writing to translate complex ideas and metrics into simple, actionable recommendations and report technical safety requirements.
5. Ability to anticipate, identify and mitigate safety and health risks, hazards and processes that have the potential of causing injury or property damage.
6. Ability to interpret and evaluate technical and operating documentation and data to implement programs, monitor progress, and make recommendations regarding equipment and vehicle design.
7. Ability to oversee and review technical research activities, as related to safety and health, and make recommendations for revising internal standards and procedures.
8. EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT: Applicants must Possess a Bachelor’s or Graduate degree in an engineering or safety sciences program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) OR at least 60 hours of ABET accredited courses in physical, mathematical and engineering sciences.
In addition the appicants must meet one of the following: a. Possess a current, valid license as an Professional Engineer (PE) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP); b. Possess five years of equivalent professional safety experience in a manufacturing environment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $113,960.00 - $131,585.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Washington, DC 20260: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person