Under supervision of the Mail & Package Center Manager, the Mail & Package Center Clerk performs various postal duties, such as sorting and delivering mail, provides customer service to students and tracking mail & packages, processes incoming and outgoing packages for various carriers (USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.), and performs other duties as assigned. This position will provide indirect supervision to 40+ student workers in the MPCs. The Clerk will support residential operations by maintaining high quality standards in mail services units in Residential Services. Must have excellent communication and customer service skills and respond to student needs in a professional manner.
- Provide indirect supervision to 40+ student employees.
- Work with MPC Manager and other MPC Clerk for the recruitment, hiring, selection, and evaluation of student employees.
- Keep MPC Manager informed regarding relevant issues in the Mail & Package Center.
- Sort and deliver mail to assigned residential areas.
- Forward first-class mail and packages in line with USPS guidelines.
- Process packages from various carriers including USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon, etc.
- Establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with other University employees and students.
- Participate in opening and closing procedures at the beginning and end of academic terms and summer schedules.
- Remediation of packages which are incorrectly delivered or needing to be processed as return to sender by working with carriers to arrange regular pickups to avoid abundances of accumulation of non-deliverable packages.
- Act as liaison with mail courier and delivery services in collaboration with MPC Manager.
- Work on seasonal projects to support operations including summer operations.
- Work closely with and provide excellent communication and customer service to a diverse population of students, parents, and staff supporting Residential Services on campus.
- Respond to assigned emails in shared Outlook account.
- Investigate reports of missing packages and inform MPC Manager of higher-level issues to follow up on.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma or equivalent required.
- 1 year of administrative support or other relevant experience required.
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software programs is required.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, organization, and administrative skills.
- Effective written and oral communication.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Suite programs, including Word & Excel.
- Must be able to lift mail bags, boxes, or other items weighing up to 70 lbs.
- Experience working with diverse populations in a college setting.
- Experience working in central mailroom.
- Experience with quality assurance of packages including those lacking proper delivery information, ensuring the proper recipients are notified and able to pick up their items in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of WhenToWork software.
- Knowledge of Pitney-Bowes mail tracking software suite.
The target hiring range for this position will be between $19.00-$20.60 per hour. Offered salary will be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness:
Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles.
We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth & Development:
Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.
Northwestern strongly recommends COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters for people who can obtain them as a critical tool for minimizing severe illness. More information can be found on the COVID-19 and Campus Updates webpage.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.