Lower Kuskokwim School District
An exciting place to learn, a rewarding place to teach!
The Lower Kuskokwim School District (LKSD) is an exciting and rewarding place to learn and teach in “bush” Alaska. LKSD is the largest rural school district in Alaska with 27 schools, 350 teachers, and about 4,000 Yup’ik students. The landmass of the District is about the size of West Virginia spreading along the Kuskokwim River and Bering Coast of southwest Alaska. Travel is by jet from Anchorage, and then by small plane, snowmobile or boat from Bethel to the village sites.
The mission of the Lower Kuskokwim School District is to ensure bilingual, culturally appropriate and effective education for all students, thereby providing them with the opportunity to be responsible, productive citizens.
- Maintain high expectations for student academic success and conduct
- Oversee the implementation of District Curriculum
- Reinforce school-wide rules and expectations
- Collaborate closely with teachers and other staff members
- Help create a positive work environment where students, parents, community members, and staff want to be.
- Identify students who are academically at risk and initiate effective intervention strategies
- Create professional development based of the needs of students and staff and guided by the Key Measures set forth by the District.
- Communicate frequently with parents
- Build strong relationships with students, staff and families
- Implement all policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct, and for the building, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedures and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulations
- Attends and participates in Community School Committee and various Advisory Committee meetings.
- Evaluate teachers and support staff
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Ability to live and work in a cross-cultural, rural Alaskan environment.
- Valid Alaska Teacher Certification and Administrative Certificate or the ability to obtain them.
- Requirements for an Alaska Teaching Certificate requires Student Teaching or equivalent and a basic competency exam.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Salary and Benefits:
- Full-time position
- Full flight reimbursement from Work Site to Anchorage
- Health insurance with low family premiums
- Ongoing training and career development opportunities
- Teacher Housing provided with subsidized rent
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $95,868.00 to 108,367.00 a year
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $95,000.00 - $108,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Are you looking for an immediate position or for the 24-25 school year?
Work Location: On the road