Natural Resources Biologist / Project Manager / Permitter - Mid-Level - ( 230004BF )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec's Denver, CO; Fort Collins, CO; Cheyenne, WY; or Salt Lake City, UT offices are currently seeking a mid-level Natural Resources Biologist/Project Manager/Permitter for our Environmental Services Group. The successful candidate will work in a team environment and will be responsible for managing projects, leading the development of technical documents, coordinating field surveys, and assisting with environmental permitting for a variety of clients. They will also be responsible for assisting with proposals and field surveys (occasionally; candidate dependent), as well as presentations to clients and agencies.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Management of project schedules, deliverables, budgets, staff, and the project record (i.e., managing file storage).
- Leading the preparation and review of technical documents, such as permit applications to regulatory agencies, and/or sections of NEPA documents, and/or baseline survey reports for natural resource studies (e.g., wildlife, vegetation, wetlands).
- Planning and/or overseeing wildlife and plant field surveys and/or cultural resources surveys for a variety of different project types including pipelines, renewable energy, energy transmission and generation, mining, and private development.
- Developing proposals (scope and budgets) for environmental services tasks, independently or as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Interacting and communicating effectively with multi-disciplinary teams, regulators, and clients. This includes being an active member within a team of permitting specialists based out of the Stantec offices (primarily) in the Rocky Mountain Region, and across our North American geography.
- Ability to travel to conduct surveys or attend meetings. The person in this role may be expected to travel, generally for 2 – 5 days per trip, approximately up to 15 to 20 percent of the time (candidate dependent).
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Past project or task management experience with a preference for experience in natural resources (e.g., wildlife, wetlands and streams, vegetation). Experience permitting pipeline or renewable energy projects (e.g., wind energy, solar, BESS), mining projects, and/or transmission line projects preferred.
- Experience with lead authorship of technical documents and permit applications (e.g., US Army Corps of Engineers Section 404/401 permits, , Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) certificate applications, species-specific habitat assessments, Habitat Conservation Plans, Natural Resource Management Strategies).
- Experience with the NEPA review process and/or authorship of NEPA documents or resource sections of NEPA documents (e.g., Environmental Impact Statements, Environmental Assessments).
- Ability to validate and accurately analyze information and make sound decisions.
- Ability to manage risks and safety appropriately, manage information, and provide exceptional service to internal and external clients.
- Effectiveness in resource planning and results delivery.
- Ability to prioritize and balance workloads to achieve goals while keeping up with a highly mobile and changing environment.
- Possess a diverse skill set in multiple environmental disciplines and have a passion for lifelong learning.
- Eager to learn and be part of a team of resource specialists supporting clients in pipelines, renewables, transmission, mining, and other industries.
- Good driving record and valid driver’s license required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree with 5 to 10 years of relevant experience. Master of Science Degree in biology, wildlife, ecology, or related biological field and 3 to 5 years of relevant experience preferred.
- Experience in the field of natural resources consulting is preferred but not required.
- Ability to delineate wetlands is preferred but not required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
This position will be in a typical office or home-office environment working with computers and working at a stationary desk for long periods of time. Our Mountain Region Environmental Services team generally works remotely and meets via Teams on occasion; however, an office desk is available if preferred. The successful candidate will be expected to reside within a reasonable commuting distance of our Denver or Fort Collins, CO; Cheyenne, WY; or Salt Lake City, UT office, but this is negotiable for a well-qualified candidate.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $75,000 - $108,800 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in CO and HI
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees have access to medical, dental, and vision plans, a wellness program, health saving accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase program, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage and paid family leave. Regular full-time and part-time employees will receive ten paid holidays in each calendar year. In addition, employees will be eligible to accrue vacation between 10 and 20 days per year and eligible for paid sick leave (and if more generous, in accordance with state and local law).
Temporary/casual employees have access to 401(k) plans, employee stock purchase program, and paid leave, in accordance with state and local law.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : United States-Colorado-Denver
Other Locations : United States-Utah-Salt Lake City, United States-Colorado-Fort Collins, United States-Wyoming-Cheyenne
Work Locations :
Denver 17th St CO
Organization : BC-2037 EnvSvcs-US Mountain
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 14, 2023, 11:42:55 AM
Req ID: 230004BF
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans