Our Human Resources Department is focused on ALDI’s most valuable asset: our people. With teams including Administration, Employee Communications, Payroll & Benefits, Human Resource Information Systems, Legal, Risk & Security, Recruitment and Training & Development, HR makes sure that ALDI continues to employ talented and motivated people that are focused on preserving the supportive culture we're known for.
In this role, the Employee Relations Investigator II will be responsible for conducting investigations into alleged violations of ALDI’s policies and procedures, presenting findings to leadership, making recommendations for resolution, and tracking the status of matters in ALDI’s case management system. The ideal candidate will have experience leading and managing all phases of internal investigations, handling sensitive information, and communicating directly with leadership.
Position Type: Full-Time
Work Location: Naperville, IL
This role is eligible to participate in ALDI’s Hybrid Work Program, which requires in-office work at least 2 days per month.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Handles complex and sensitive employee concerns and investigations, including employee/applicant complaints and reports made through our ethics and compliance hotline, the ALDI AlertLine.
- Reaches conclusions and presents findings to leadership for further action, including recommendations for proposed remediation.
- Partners and collaborates with business teams to ensure optional decisions and outcomes are made through influencing, coaching, and providing subject matter expertise that balance risk and business needs.
- Engages critical thinking and decision-making as to relevant findings of any inappropriate activities with respect to state or federal laws, regulations and/or ALDI policies.
- Works with business partners and internal and external legal counsel on employee relations matters, including behavioral issues, disciplinary actions, policy application and enforcement, or other issues representing risk to the organization.
- Forms collaborative relationships with leaders and employees in order to execute strategies and efforts to support the growth/strategic objectives of the Company.
- Advises on any changes or actions to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the team.
- Informs management of recurring issues or when additional team training may be required.
- Leads and conducts internal investigations. involving discrimination, harassment and/or retaliation based on a protected status or activity.
- Conducts interviews, collects all relevant facts, and drafts investigative reports based on findings related to workplace behavior.
- Develops processes and playbooks to ensure efficient and effective internal investigations.
- Maintains knowledge of legal requirements affecting the employee experience and human resources functions to drive the investigation process.
- Fosters innovation and works collaboratively to ensure best practice investigation techniques and protocols are followed.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the human resource operations policies, processes, and procedures; facilitates policy changes collaboratively and communicates as appropriate.
- Identifies and monitors metrics with HR community to ensure compliance with ALDI values and evaluates effectiveness of employee relations responsibilities throughout the organization.
- Manages multiple projects and initiatives with various deadlines and handles special projects.
- Designs, implements, and drives process improvements and infrastructure solutions to enhance the department’s ability to assist the Company and function efficiently.
- Demonstrates full and competent utilization of the case management system to input and track cases.
- Performs data analytical work including creating customized reports for business partners and stakeholders that identifies trends and opportunities.
- Assists in training and developing team members to retain a motivated and professional workforce.
- Collaborates with team members and communicates relevant information to leadership.
- Upholds the security and confidentiality of documents and data within area of responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Consistently demonstrates the Mindsets, ALDI Acts Competencies and Professional Skills (M.A.P.) as outlined for the role.
- Gives attention to detail and follows instruction.
- Prepares written materials to meet purpose and audience.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with internal and external parties.
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively within a group.
- Understands the history, strategy, organizational authority, interdependence of job duties, products, systems, and services of the company.
- Strong and practical ability to identify and address employee relations issues, focused primarily on internal investigations.
- Knowledge of the process for recording, classifying, and summarizing financial transactions in accordance with Company, statutory, tax, cost, and reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of how legal issues affect organizations and the ability to develop strategies to coordinate legal considerations to business objectives.
- Understands cost/benefit analysis.
- Ability to anticipate legal risks as well as utilize excellent judgement and analytical skills.
- Ability to compare financial performance with projections and facilitate corrective actions when results differ significantly from plan.
- Ability to facilitate group involvement when conducting meetings.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in labor and employment law and internal investigations required.
- Or, a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
- J.D. preferred.
- Work may be performed in an office, remote office or a combination of both where a computer and office equipment may be used as needed to perform duties.
- Regularly required to sit, reach, grasp, stand and move from one area to another.
- Constantly and repeatedly use keyboard/mouse.
- Occasionally required to push, pull, bend, lift and move up to 25 lbs.
- Domestic travel required.
- Up to 10%.
ALDI offers competitive wages and benefits, including:
- 401(k) Plan
- Company 401(k) Matching Contributions
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- PerkSpot National Discount Program
In addition, eligible employees are offered:
- Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Generous Vacation Time & 7 Paid Holidays
- Up to 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave at 100% of pay
- Up to 2 Weeks Paid Caregiver Leave at 100% of pay
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life, Dependent Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
ALDI is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected characteristic. Employment may be contingent upon ALDI's receipt of an acceptable and job-related drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.