Sterile Processing Dept-Hosp
Now offering $5,000 sign on incentive for experienced Sterile Processing Techs!
The Sterile Processing Department SPD is an integral part of the perioperative enterprise. Explore and excel. At Banner Health, health care is a team effort. One might be surprised by the number of people who work behind the scenes and play a critical role in ensuring the best care for our patients. New to service encouraged! Apply today.
Banner Desert Medical Center/Banner Children’s at Desert has 24 Operating Rooms, which includes 3 trauma rooms, 6 pediatric rooms, 1 cysto suite, 4 minimally invasive and 3 robotic rooms. BDMC/CCMC offers a full range of surgical specialties, including Peds Cardiovascular and Adult and Peds Trauma, Urology, Orthopedics, General, Gynecology, Neurology, EENT, Plastics and Robotics. We are the busiest OR in the valley, fast paced, and performing high acuity cases. In 2017, BDMC/CCMC performed over 21,000 surgeries. Our technologies includes da Vinci Xi robot, NICO, Stealth guided brain surgery. Banner Desert Medical Center is recognized by US News as High Performing Hospital in Procedure/Condition Category. With the variety of specialties and surgical procedures, high patient safety score, available work shifts, level 1 trauma designation for adult and pediatric patients, stroke center, and CORE orthopedics this is an ideal facility for those interested in a fast paced environment and room for growth.
Employment Type: Full-time
Hours per Week: 4-10s | 40hrs
Shift: Day 7A-3:30P or Overnight 11P-7:30A
Schedule: Monday - Friday
Call may be required for this position.
Enjoy a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential and an 18%-night shift differential when applicable.
Located on an 80-acre campus in Mesa, Arizona, Banner Desert Medical Center is one of Arizona''s largest and most comprehensive hospitals and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix''s Best Hospitals. We provide an abundance of exceptional opportunities with more than 600 licensed beds, including over 100 dedicated to children. Areas of excellence include high-risk pregnancy and neonatal care, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine. With 21 operating rooms, we offer a full range of surgical specialties and advanced technology that includes the daVincir Surgical System. About Banner Children''s Hospital at Desert If you desire to provide the best care possible to the most vulnerable patients, come to Banner Children''s Hospital at Desert in Mesa, Ariz. Within our 248-bed, state-of-the-art facility, specially trained nurses, physicians and other clinical professionals utilize the most advanced technology - including iCare ICU monitoring and robotic surgery - to provide high quality, child-friendly, family-centered care. Our facilities feature a recently expanded 104-bed NICU, a 24-bed PICU, six pediatric ORs and a 26-bed ED. We also offer dedicated pediatric rehab, radiology, oncology and hematology capabilities. With clinical diversity, exceptional training programs and a supportive culture, this is a place where you can grow in your career as you help our very special patients.
This position demonstrates accountability for operating room readiness ensuring sterile surgical instrumentation and disposable supplies are complete and ready for a procedure prior to the preceding patient leaving the operating room. Responsible for the proper care and handling of all general and specialty instrumentation including the cleaning, decontamination, disassemble/reassemble, quality assurance, instrument identification, set assembly, packaging, sterilization, and distribution of surgical instrumentation for PeriOp Services, hospital departments, and clinics.
1. Provides decontamination and sterile processing support to PeriOp Services, ED, ICU, hospital wide departments, clinics both on and off campus, and ambulatory surgery centers. Provides various levels of service for the management of sterile surgical instrumentation and disposable patient care supplies. Support may-or-may-not include, decontamination of surgical instruments, assembly/sterilization, sterile instrument storage, partial or complete case cart support, OR core tech support and high-level disinfection.
2. Responsible for the decontamination, assembly, and packaging of surgical instruments following established protocols, instructions for use (IFU) as well as performs required quality assurance, repairs, reassembly, documentation, sterility handling, and storage of specialized surgical instruments. Maintains required sterilization logs and quality assurance records relating to all equipment associated for the purpose of decontamination, HLD disinfection, and sterilization.
3. Ability to interpret the surgical schedule and medical terminology as it pertains to scheduled procedures requiring sterile surgical instrumentation and disposable supplies needed. Able to address and communicate special needs to minimize delays to surgery. Responds to emergent calls from the Operating Room and performs preliminary investigation. Determines priority level of instrumentation requests and other hospital needs. Directs services in a competent and professional manner while assuring OR priorities are completed in a timely manner.
4. Able to differentiate surgical instrumentation that is surgery owned, consignment/loaner, hospital depart, surgeon, ambulatory surgery center, and clinics both on and off campus. Completes necessary tracking of surgical instruments with a paper log sheet or computer process for instrumentation leaving the area. Reports needed replacement of surgical instruments to maintain the inventory and support readiness of sets.
5. Utilizes specialized equipment for the decontamination, high-level disinfection, and sterilization of surgical instrumentation according to the device and equipment manufacturer’s recommendations and hospital policy. Operates steam and hydrogen peroxide sterilizers of various sizes with the potential of operating ethylene oxide sterilizers where available. Operates automated surgical instrument washers, ultrasonics, flush pumps, and cart washers to include high-level disinfectors where supported.
6. Operates various quality assurance testing equipment associated to flexible endoscopic scopes, transesophageal ultrasound probes, and electro-surgical insulation defect detector for laparoscopic and energy provided surgical instrumentation. Utilizes heat detection devices to allow steam sterilized surgical instrumentation to be released for use without risking burns to staff and patients. Operates demagnetizers of stainless-steel instruments for ophthalmic and delicate cardiac surgical instrumentation for safe use on patients. Utilizes various borescope devices to inspect inner channels of lumened surgical instrumentation and flexible scopes.
7. Maintains a clean and safe environment by adhering to Standard Precautions and Infection Control practices. Staff follow protocols for proper donning of personnel protective equipment (PPE) while completing the decontamination process referencing IFU’s supplied by the manufacturers.
8. Maintain flexibility to rotate shifts and adjust hours as needed, maintain a work record of regular attendance, timely arrivals, and departures, maintain professional appearance appropriate to position and function.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Must have mechanical aptitude with the ability to break down moving parts, clean, lubricate and reassemble, problem solve incomplete trays and missing instrumentation and have effective organizational, communication and human relation skills.
Complete national certification as an SPD Technician within two years of hire.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Our organization supports a drug-free work environment.