Department: SMITHS Deli/Bakery
Position Type: Employee
Position Reports To: Bakery Manager
Position Supervises: N/A
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Create an outstanding customer experience through exceptional service. Establish and maintain a safe and clean environment that encourages our customers to return. Assist the department manager in reaching sales and profit goals established for the department, and monitor all established quality assurance standards. Embrace the Customer 1st strategy and encourage associates to deliver excellent customer service. Demonstrate the company's core values of respect, honesty, integrity, diversity, inclusion and safety of others.
- Create an environment that enables customers to feel welcome, important and appreciated by answering questions regarding products sold within the department and throughout the store.
- Gain and maintain knowledge of products sold within the department and be able to respond to questions and make suggestions about products.
- Observe scheduled shift operating hours.
- Offer product samples to help customers discover new items or products for which they inquire about.
- Suggestive sell through intercom announcements.
- Maintain cleanliness of counter, cases, freezer and coolers.
- Recommend bakery items to customers to ensure they get the products they want and need.
- Use all equipment in bakery such as the refrigerators, freezers, slicers, and ovens according to company guidelines.
- Adequately prepare, package, label, and sign merchandise.
- Maintain and restock displays throughout the day.
- Ensure product freshness through proper rotation and by monitoring date codes.
- Check product quality to ensure freshness; review "sell by" dates and take appropriate action.
- Properly use kitchen equipment, proof box, stove, and computerized scale.
- Stay current with present, future, seasonal and special ads.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Ensure proper temperatures in cases and coolers are maintained.
- Reinforce safety programs by complying with safety procedures and identify unsafe conditions and notify store management.
- Practice preventive maintenance by properly inspecting equipment and notify appropriate department or store manager of any items in need of repair.
- Notify management of customer or employee accidents.
- Report all safety risk, or issues, and illegal activity, including: robbery, theft or fraud.
- Ensure that all current merchandising, customer service, labor control, expense and supply controls, loss prevention, maintenance, safety, food safety, associate and customer engagement rules are being followed.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Effective communication skills
- Knowledge of basic math: counting, addition, and subtraction
- Current food handlers permit once employed
- Must be able to meet the minimum physical demands of the position
- Must be 18 or older
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Retail experience
- Customer service experience
Second language: speaking, reading and/or writing
Leadership Behaviors: Achieves Results through Teamwork, Coaches and Develops Others, Communicates Effectively and Candidly, Executes with Excellence, Leads Change and Innovation, Leads through Positive Influence, Provides Clear and Strategic Direction, Puts the Customer First. For more information on the Kroger Leadership Behavior model, click here.
Education Level: None
Required Certifications/Licenses: None
Shift(s): Day; Overnight