As the largest not-for-profit health care system serving Michigan, we offer a world of opportunity within our expansive system. We have more nationally ranked hospitals than any other health system in the state, including six that are Magnet®-recognized. In total, Beaumont has eight hospitals and 155 outpatient sites that provide diverse practice settings located in communities throughout southeastern Michigan and the greater Detroit metropolitan area.
Accurately sorts and distributes client reports and supplies; promptly picks-up client specimens; responds to requests for stat service; provides responsive and courteous service to Beaumont Laboratory client needs. Uses handheld devices to record all pick-up and delivery transactions.
1. Promptly and courteously picks-up specimens/packages from Beaumont Laboratory clients. Identifies specimen(s) at pick-up and verifies drop-off on the PDA handheld. Delivers specimens to designated Beaumont Hospital Laboratory locations.
2. Accepts supplies on the hand held, loads into vehicles, delivers supplies, samples, packages and other business-related inventory to Beaumont Outreach clients, Beaumont Hospital departments (RO, TR, GP, FH, DB, Wayne, Taylor, and Trenton), and other laboratories. Records with signature from client on the hand held.
3. Picks up sharps containers and fills out disposal manifest. Picks up returned supplies from clients and returns via the hand held.
4. Provides stat pick up service with a TAT expectation of 90% delivered to any Beaumont Laboratory for processing within two hours.
5. Creates containers for Anatomic Pathology and various Lab Departments. Delivers containers consisting of biopsies, slides, micro and other shared specimens for processing.
6. Participates in vehicle maintenance programs as assigned.
7. Other duties as assigned.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
A. Education / Training:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
B. Work Experience:
- Previous courier experience and computer (Windows) experience preferred.
C. Certification, Licensure, Registration:
- Valid driver’s license required.
D. Other Qualifications:
- Excellent communication skills and positive, professional attitude at all times; ability to lift/maneuver heavy supply orders and/or quantities of cargo in and out of vehicles many times in a shift.
A. Physical Effort:
- Strength: Position requires incumbent to occasionally perform physical activities requiring ability to push/pull objects of up to 40 pounds, constantly lift objects up 10 pounds; occasionally lift objects up to 40 pounds.
- 2. Manual Dexterity: Positions require incumbent to constantly perform simple motor skills such as walking, standing, constantly perform difficult manipulative skills such as repetitive arm use, and constantly perform difficult manipulative skills such as preparation of specimens for analysis and operation of laboratory equipment.
- 3. Coordination: Position requires incumbent to constantly perform gross body coordination such as walking and standing. Constantly performing tasks, which require eye-hand coordination such as analysis of specimens, and constantly performing tasks, which require arm-hand steadiness such as cleaning, calibration & operation of instrumentation and equipment.
- 4. Mobility: Position requires incumbent to constantly perform mobility skills such as walking and standing, sitting or standing for prolonged periods; and remain in uncomfortable positions for prolonged periods. Frequently perform stooping along with performing manual dexterity and coordination functions.
- 5. Visual Discrimination: Position requires incumbent to constantly see objects far away as in locating exits, see objects closely as in reading thermometers, product labels and instrument readouts.
- 6. Hearing: Position requires incumbent to constantly hear normal sounds such as equipment operating and being able to hear pages, telephone conversations, etc. Distinguish sound as in responding to timers and/or audible alarms.
- Concentration: Position requires incumbent to constantly be able to concentrate on fine details with constant amount of interruptions.
- Attention Span: Position requires incumbent to attend to task/functions constantly for periods up to 60 minutes in length and to frequently attend to task/functions for periods exceeding 60 minutes in length.
- Conceptualization: Position requires incumbent to constantly be able to understand and relate to specific ideas, concepts, and theories.
- Memory: Position requires incumbent to constantly remember tasks and/or assignment given to self and others over both short and long-term periods of time such as schedule of work, job assignments, etc.
B. Work Environment:
- Works in a clinical laboratory and works with hazardous reagents and infectious materials.
- Potential risk of an exposure to hazardous medications or waste materials of hazardous medications.
Beaumont offers a comprehensive benefits package to meet your financial, health and life-work balance goals.
- NEW On-demand pay program – powered by Payactiv
- Generous paid time off, holidays and flexible scheduling
- Our employees receive special discounts on a wide range of products and services
- Exceptional health, dental, vision and prescription drug insurance plans
This is where extraordinary begins. Find out where it can take you and your career. Apply Now!
- Beaumont Health grants equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, height, weight, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected category.