Towson University (TU) is one of the nation’s top 100 public universities. Located north of Baltimore, TU currently enrolls more than 19,000 students and is the second-largest university in the prestigious University System of Maryland. Towson University values diversity and fosters a climate that is grounded in respect and inclusion to cultivate the intellectual and personal growth of the entire university community.
Towson University is currently accepting applications for a Web Content Specialist.
As a part of the Digital Strategy team, the Web Content Specialist collaborates with team members within the Division of University Marketing and Communications, and stakeholders across the university. The position is focused on supporting web content and optimization needs across Towson.edu and related university web-based tools.
Telework may be available for this position up to two days per week following the completion of 90 days of service in good standing.
Responsibilities and Duties
Web Content Development and Strategy
- Serving as a web content liaison within the larger university marketing and communications division.
- Provide guidance on content design, voice and tone and overall adherence to university web writing style guidelines and accessibility best practices.
- Stay updated in the latest industry trends, particularly related to higher education web sites.
- Advising on layout solutions to content
Production Support and Administration
- Daily web content maintenance and production support within the Omni content management system.
- Triaging production support needs within the division and across the university, including:
o Developing and presenting sample mockup pages to illustrate recommended approaches.
o Troubleshooting issues in the CMS, overall HTML and CSS formatting errors
- Supporting ongoing efforts to streamline, optimize department and division workflows related to web content production and management.
- Supporting ongoing efforts to document team processes and standards.
Qualifications and Skills
Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or related field.
- At least 2 years related experience, including at least 1 year working within a content management system (CMS).
- Demonstrated knowledge of web writing, accessibility, and content optimization best practices.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS markup, understanding how content translates to code.
- Detail-oriented, results-driven personality.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Adept at collaborative working environments, while also working well independently.
- Comfortable adjusting to changing priorities, projects, client needs, and technology.
- An inherent curiosity to find new solutions.
- Comprehensive background using AP writing style.
- A background in or a penchant for digital storytelling.
- Demonstrated appreciation for empathy and patience working with individuals with varying technical expertise.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range of $63k-$68k, salary commensurate on experience, and full University benefits that include 22 days of annual leave, up to 15 holidays, personal and sick days; excellent health, life, and retirement plans; and tuition remission.