If interested, please apply directly online at the CWU hiring page https://www.cwu.edu/about/offices/human-resources/careers/ - Search for JobID# 5964.
Central Washington University is recruiting a Catering General Manager to join our Dining Services team in Ellensburg, Washington. This role is an important member of our team as they enhance the vision for the University. The role is a campus-based position, which means you get to see the lives you are impacting. We're offering a salary, depending on experience, from $52,588 - $68,000 plus the awesome CWU benefits.
Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students' Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating across 380 acres. You'll find diverse academics, libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining, conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers, housing, health services, police and public safety for the campus population of ~10,000 students.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here. www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjdhOegDa9A
What we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn more: CWU Benefits, Perks & Discounts.
The Catering Manager role entails providing leadership, guidance, training, and setting customer service standards for the entire staffing hierarchy supporting CWU Dining Services 1891 Catering Operations. These operations play a pivotal role in catering to external guests who engage with the diverse services offered by this segment of Dining Services. Our catered events extend across a spectrum of on and off-campus locations, encompassing Athletic concessions, mobile dining operations, and major campus events. This demands a continual adaptation to available resources in varying event spaces. As the leader of this role, you will spearhead planning efforts and offer direct support for high-profile and impactful campus events. These include functions at the CWU President's residence, Board of Trustees Meetings, Legislative Events, CWU Foundation and Donor events, Executive Leadership activities, and other events spread across the expansive 380 acres of our Ellensburg CWU Campus. Your responsibilities extend to serving a diverse guest base, comprising internal and external CWU members, current students, prospective students, and their support networks, aligning directly with campus admissions and enrollment initiatives.
Event sizes under your purview will range from intimate, high-profile dinners at the President's residence for a select few to large-scale campus events accommodating over five thousand attendees. This role demands meticulous organization and execution of all such events, requiring a comprehensive understanding of the food service business, staff training, and development. Effective management of multiple intricate projects concurrently is essential. The demands of this position transcend regular working hours, necessitating management of continuous services seven days a week from early morning until late night. Irregular shifts are anticipated to ensure optimal managerial coverage. Given the nature of catering, flexibility in scheduling is crucial to meeting customer needs, and active participation in all facets of delivery and event production is expected. All employees are expected to support CWU's commitment to diversity and to bring and support inclusion into the university environment.
Leadership and Supervision:
- Directly supervises (1) Catering Banquet Captain, (2-3) Student Managers, (4-5) Student Coordinators, and (30-40) students, etc.
- Ensures that staff members understand the vision, values, and priorities of the Department and that work within catering operations are aligned and in support of the CWU vision to be a model learning community of equity and belonging.
- Represent CWU Dining Services in meetings with Campus partners regarding catering event food services, with a focus on creating authentic community partnerships that are grounded in meaningful relationship, in direct support of the CWU mission.
- Maintain visibility and accessibility with current and potential customers, building managers and staff members.
- Provide supervision and support for multiple activities spread across campus, occurring simultaneously, which include concessions, staffed special events, drop-off events, and catering operations across Dining/Catering operations.
- Collaborating with Catering Chef and Catering team to provide consistent experiences across campus.
- Directly lead and direct catering activity and services which includes VIP events such as: President's residence events, Board of Trustees Meetings, Executive Leadership of the University Meetings, Legislative Events, CWU Foundation and Donor events, etc. occurring on main campus.
- Coordinate efforts in support of local community engagement events, such as: Bite of the Burg, Ellensburg High School Partnerships, Center Fuse partnerships, and the Ellensburg Community Thanksgiving.
- Provide both direct and indirect supervision/oversight of classified civil service staff.
- Evaluate and provide constructive feedback to support the success of direct reports, offering guidance on learning and professional development, and engaging in necessary performance management within the catering organization.
- Supervise the work completed by direct reports, ensuring appropriate productivity and quality.
- Establishes and maintains proper controls over resources, including cash, inventory and labor.
- Ensures that unit work complies with all contracts, policies and procedures applicable to the operation.
- Ensures that service standards are responsive to customer needs and that staff are empowered to make adjustments before and during an event.
- Takes corrective action in a timely manner.
Operations & Guest Services:
- Manages department related marketing programs and ensures that they are in alignment with Department values and designed to achieve program and business growth.
- Oversees the catering ordering system (CaterTrax), ensuring it is kept current and aligned with services available to guests served.
- Monitors and manages inventory to ensure stock is available when required.
- Develop strategies with Catering Chef to present and execute menus in keeping with Dining Services' quality and consistency standards.
- Responsible for planning and coordinating logistics, including but not limited to rentals, fuel, equipment and all product necessary for events.
- Coordinates deliveries and event logistics with Catering Chef and transportation team.
- Manages event set up and cleanup, arranging specialty décor and client needs for all events.
- Ensures dietary, allergen and ingredient information is properly displayed.
- Schedules employees to ensure proper staffing levels are maintained to meet customer service standards.
- Maintains record of food waste to identify cost control opportunities and follows through with kitchen production as needed.
- Monitors compliance with established marketing standards regarding displays, promotional materials and signage. Takes corrective action when necessary.
- Takes ownership of additional projects that supports the department mission, vision, and values.
- Interacts with customers to identify their requirements and assist in meeting their needs.
- Promotes and ensures a culture that focuses on the practice of excellent customer service through actively soliciting customer feedback, respond to complaints, questions and special requests in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with Campus Partners to provide excellent and unique guest experience during campus visits, special events, and daily operations.
Training & Development:
- Leads the development of standardized employee (student, classified and professional) training, onboarding, quality assurance and customer satisfaction programs, including training curricula, materials and programs focused on catering operations and the diverse levels of services provided (i.e., plated, buffet, concessions, alcohol, drop-off, large-scale events, etc.).
- Oversees the implementation, administration and ongoing facilitation of training and educational programs, in connection with catering operations, front of house service standards, alcohol service, transportation, all in support of customer satisfaction efforts to all catering staff.
- Performs spot checks and inspections to ensure quality control.
- Identifies and corrects unsafe conditions, such as faulty equipment or work habits that might lead to an accident.
- Conducts in-service training as needed on unit safety, cash handling, food safety, food preparation and/or customer service.
- Provides guidance to direct report(s) on requirements and/or opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Develops the processes, procedures and budget in collaboration with Dining Services leadership.
- Responsible for upkeep of all catering billing and ensures Auxiliary Financial Services receives and bills accordingly to realize the revenue expected from services provided by month end deadlines.
- Maintains accurate records of all catered events and reviews charges before billing customer.
- Monitors attendance and adjusts staffing to meet daily production needs.
- Reviews sales, and other financial reports to identify sales and expense control opportunities, and takes action as needed.
- Research ongoing catering/culinary trends, customer feedback and communicates new ideas to the leadership team.
- Familiar with Computrition functions performed as part of normal business operations, including purchasing, inventory, transfers and service menus.
- Emergency Preparedness support
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of three to five years of proven event management experience within the food service industry.
- Position requires a flexible schedule with availability for nights, weekends, mornings, and holidays.
- Extensive successful progressive management experience that includes:
- Demonstrated ability and/or experience working with students and/or co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds, and experiences.
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
Additional Conditions of Employment
- Washington State Driver's License upon hire.
- ServeSafe Certification within 6 months of hire and maintenance of certification thereafter.
- Possession of a Washington State Food Handler's Card
- Bachelor's degree in hospitality, business administration or related field.
- Must have or be eligible to obtain a WA State Class 12 Liquor License with 90 days of initial hire date.
- Working in leadership capacity within the food and beverage/restaurant industry.
- Record of strict adherence to company and local health, safety, and hygiene policies.
- Managing inventory and preventing product loss.
- Ability to understand business needs, communicate and translate them into operational requirements.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Project.
- Demonstrated participation in programs designed to promote inclusion.
- A record of promoting inclusivity in the work environment.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
*Don't meet every single requirement? At CWU we're dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every requirement, we encourage you to apply anyway. This may be the job for you!
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: This position has a minimum annual salary of $52,588 and maximum annual salary of $76,253. The Hiring Department's expected hiring range is $52,588 - $68,000. In accordance with RCW 49.58.110, the above salary reflects the full salary range for this position. Individual placement within the hiring range is based on the candidate's current experience, education, skills, and abilities related to the position.
Schedule/Appointment: Variable / 40+ hours per week
Working Conditions: Work is performed primarily indoors with occasional outdoor events. At times work is performed in hot/cold/noisy/wet areas with some exposure to hazardous equipment and products. Working in temperatures from 0 degrees (freezer) to 350+ degrees (around cooking equipment) is common. Work requires walking and/or standing (often in a stationary position) for much of each shift. Bending/climbing/carrying/pulling/pushing/lifting associated with loading/unloading of supplies and preparation, plating and serving of food is required. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer workstation for prolonged periods of time, perform basic scheduling, payroll entry and other computer-related tasks. Additional physical requirements of the position include: pushing utility and hand carts with up to 150 lbs. of supplies to various workstations; correctly lifting up to 35 lbs. individually from the floor or shelf locations to heights of 48" so products can be poured into smaller containers or put on worktables.
*This position requires working a schedule that varies based on business needs. This entails attending and participating in events that occur seven days a week and outside normal business hours. Flexibility is an expectation
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: CWU Benefits, Perks & Discounts
An employee of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program if the employee has student loans. To learn more, visit: https://ofm.wa.gov/state-human-resources/public-service-loan-forgiveness-program.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
· A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
· Resume including work history, education, training; and
· Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: December 10, 2023
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Please contact Human Resources at [email protected] 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Background Check/Reference Check Process:
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to sign a Sexual Misconduct disclosure in pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080and submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
Notice to Prospective Employees:
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Statement
Central Washington University is an EEO/AA/Title IX Institution. Central Washington University's policies and practices affirm and actively promote the rights of all individuals to equal opportunity in education and employment. Discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, disability, or status as a protected veteran is prohibited. The university provides an internal procedure for reporting discrimination and affords protection against retaliation for participating in the complaint process. Central Washington University complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and executive orders including when soliciting bids and in the fulfillment of all contracts with governmental agencies. Direct related inquiries to Civil Rights Compliance, 202 Barge Hall, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7501; Telephone 509-963-2050; or email [email protected].
Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are all core to CWU's mission, vision and valuesto increase access to higher education for everyone regardless of identity. At CWU we work to ensure everyone's voice is not only heard but recognized and valued. We consistently strive to provide a safe, welcoming, and forward-thinking institution for all employees, students, and community members.
Central Washington University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] call 509-963-1202. This job announcement and other material on this site will be made available in alternate formats upon request to an individual with a disability.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $52,588.00 - $68,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Work Location: In person