This position is per diem (as needed) with no fixed schedule. Availability requirements are weekdays 3:00pm-11:00pm and 1 weekend per month).
General Summary of Position
Ensures a safe environment for our patients, staff and visitors. Patrols hospital property, responds to calls for assistance, and reports on conditions, objects or persons which may impact the security and/or safety of patients, associates, physicians, visitors, or vendors, and responds according to established policies, procedures and regulations. Mentors and trains security staff. Assumes charge role as needed. Security Officers are essential associates in a 24/7 environment and may be required to be flexible with scheduling and work "off-shifts."
May obtain and maintain State of Maryland and/or District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department Special Police Officer commission to carry out duties associated with crime control and response, designated as an Unarmed Security Officer, assigned and deployed within the hospital consistent with the limitations of the Unarmed SPO commission from Maryland State Police or District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists supervisor with daily supervision of the shift to include monitoring communication center and monitoring security officers to ensure that their duties are being performed correctly. Makes on-the-spot corrections when needed.
- Acts as a resource or mentor to security staff.
- Conducts in-service training.
- Assumes charge role as needed.
- Assists with training of new associates as necessary.
- Collects and secures patient valuables and lost-and-found articles.
- Conducts designated security patrols throughout the facility as directed. May be required to patrol the hospital campus/grounds via security motor vehicle or bicycle.
- Observes and monitors conditions, objects, or persons which might require police action. Controls access to and inspects packages of those leaving buildings. Reports all safety, security, and law violations.
- Contributes to the achievement of established system and department goals and objectives and adheres to system and department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Immediately responds to emergencies to provide necessary assistance to employees and customers. Responds to security and medical code calls.
- Monitors camera surveillance and other security technology systems as directed. Monitors conduct of patients and visitors on hospital premises; confronts unauthorized persons for questioning as needed.
- Participates in investigations; maintains records and prepares incident reports and other documents pertinent to security activities. Continues to follow-up as needed to bring incident to closure. Notifies appropriate authorities or superiors and calls for back-up assistance as necessary.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Proficient in and utilizes nonviolent crisis intervention and de-escalation techniques to ensure staff, patients, visitors and all others remain safe, calm and respected while onsite. Assists with restraining as needed.
- Testifies at legal proceedings, hearings and trials.
- When responding to circumstances where the exercise of law enforcement authority may be required, takes appropriate measures to secure the scene, preserve evidence, detain and secure suspected criminal perpetrators, and assist responding law enforcement authority as directed by Director or other designated security officer in charge. Completes written reports and when subpoenaed or requested, notifies Legal Counsel for MedStar of same and gains guidance to testify at legal proceedings, hearings and trials.
- Works cross-functionally to ensure safe and secure environments.
- Assists in the development of department goals, objectives, policies and procedures. Ensures compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Interacts with visitors and maintains designated security posts throughout the facility as directed. Ensures quality outcomes for the security department by communicating with security staff and the public.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Associates degree preferred
- 5-7 years Total related security or law enforcement experience (inside or outside of Medstar) required
Licenses and Certifications
- Valid driver's license required
- Commissioned as a Special Police Officer by the State of Maryland State Police preferred
- District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department preferred
- Must satisfy ongoing training requirements to maintain SPO commission in Maryland and/or DC preferred
- Basic or Advanced Certified Healthcare Security Officer (CHSO) certification from IAHSS preferred
- BLS (CPR) certification required within 60 days of start date required
- Must successfully complete all MedStar initial training related to violence prevention, de-escalation and crisis prevention intervention required
Why MedStar Health?
At MedStar Health, we understand that our ability to treat others well begins with how we treat each other. We work hard to foster an inclusive and positive environment where our associates feel valued, connected, and empowered. We live up to this promise through:
- Strong emphasis on teamwork—our associates feel connected to each other and our mission as an organization. In return, our effective team environment generates positive patient outcomes and high associate satisfaction ratings that exceed the national benchmark.
- Strategic focus on equity, inclusion, & diversity—we are committed to equity for all people and communities. We continue to build a diverse and inclusive workplace where people feel a sense of belonging and the ability to contribute to equitable care delivery and improved community health outcomes at all levels of the organization.
- Comprehensive total rewards package—including competitive pay, generous paid time off, great health and wellness benefits, retirement savings, education assistance, and so much more.
- More career opportunities closer to home—as the largest healthcare provider in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. region, there are countless opportunities to grow your career and fulfill your aspirations.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation, and research. Our team of 32,000 includes physicians, nurses, residents, fellows, and many other clinical and non-clinical associates working in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest home health provider in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar Health is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education, professional development, and personal fulfillment of our whole team. Together, we use the best of our minds and the best of our hearts to serve our patients, those who care for them, and our communities. It’s how we treat people.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations. MedStar Health makes all decisions regarding employment, including for example, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefit eligibility, discipline, and discharge without regard to any protected status, including race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sex, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliations, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local EO laws. If you receive an offer of employment, it is MedStar Health's policy to hire its employees on an at-will basis, which means you or MedStar Health may terminate this relationship at any time, for any reason.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $18.44 - $23.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Leonardtown, MD 20650: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Please list your desired hourly salary
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Security or Law Enforcement: 5 years (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
- Day Shift (Required)
- Night Shift (Required)
Work Location: In person